APPLICATION PROCESS - Please submit a cover letter and resume for this position when applying.
AT YOUTHCARE: YouthCare envisions a community where no young person experiences homelessness, all young people have the opportunity to thrive, and the systems that oppress them are dismantled. YouthCare serves young people of many racial and ethnic backgrounds, abilities, sexual orientations, gender identities, and religious beliefs, and we seek a workforce that reflects that diversity.
ABOUT YOUTHCARE: YouthCare works to end youth homelessness and to ensure that young people are valued for who they are and empowered to achieve their potential. Founded in 1974, YouthCare was one of the first programs to serve runaway and homeless youth on the West Coast. The goal was to help young people find safety today, and build a future for tomorrow. Over four decades, we’ve defined best practices and developed programs that are a national standard for excellence. Using a youth-centered approach, we ensure that young people experiencing homelessness ages 12-24 have the hope, skills, and confidence to gain long-term stability.
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the leadership of the Chief Operating Officer, and serving as a member of the Senior Leadership Team, Financial Director (FD) is responsible for operating with a focus on excellence in all matters, developing practices that nurture strong financial systems and robust reporting infrastructure, to support Programs and Administration. The FD oversees and ensures timely and effective financial information-sharing, ensures a sound budget development framework and operating within agency budget, responsiveness to the ongoing and emergent needs of leadership, staff, and youth throughout the organization.
Financial Accounting, Reporting and Budgeting
- Oversee all accounting functions for the agency including the general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll, and supervise the Finance team. Develop, implement, and ensure compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures.
- Develop and maintain timely and accurate financial statements and reports that are appropriate for the users in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Review monthly financial results and report on monthly variances. Assist the Chief Executive, Chief Operating Officer , Chief Program Officer and the Board Finance Committee with financial reporting to the Board of Directors.
- Drive preparation of the annual budget in consultation with senior leadership and program managers.
- Develop and maintain policies and procedures that promote the financial sustainability of the Agency.
- Work with Finance staff to ensure compliance with external stakeholders and constituents including the annual Financial and Single Audits.
- Guide and assist in the development of financial projections and analyses of existing and potential Agency endeavors.
- Act as a strategic partner with senior leadership; ensuring alignment to goals, strategies and priorities on an ongoing basis.
- Create and ensure implementation that thoughtfully and responsibly steward the organization’s assets and revenue.
- Provide highly skilled and collaborative decision-making and leadership expertise to ensure agency integrity, quality of services, and progress towards agency goals and vision.
- Ensure that the state of YouthCare’s finances aligns with the organization’s goals and risk tolerance.
- Represent YouthCare with integrity and dignity when interacting with external constituents. Cultivate existing and develop new relationships on behalf of the agency.
- Working in conjunction with senior leadership, develop and implement business strategies, plans, policies and procedures in alignment with the Agency’s Mission, Vision and Values.
- Participate in and help drive expansion activities through the assessment and facilitation of growth opportunities.
- Provide staff leadership on the Finance and Real Estate Committees.
- Oversee all financial, programs and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant period; collate financial reporting materials for government, corporate and foundation grants in a timely manner.
- Ensure finance staff collaboration with agency’s grant writers and contract leads on the development of program and contract budgets.
This job description is not intended to cover every aspect of your job at YouthCare. We are a team that works together to meet the needs of our clients and every member of the team is expected to pitch in and help even beyond the specific responsibilities listed in this description.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Valid state identification or passport.
- Current TB Test.
- Successful completion of pre-service training as required by contracting agency.
- When driving YouthCare vehicles, you must possess a valid WA State Driver’s License; meet minimum safe driver criteria established by the agency and our insurance company.
- Must have reliable transportation to get to work and be punctual.
- Ability to accurately maintain and produce files, records, logs and reports.
- Ability to maintain professional boundaries with clients.
- May be required to assume responsibilities or duties within the Unit not specifically delineated in this job description for short periods of time or on an infrequent basis.
- Commitment to YouthCare’s initiative to build cultural proficiency across the agency. Acceptance of a variety of lifestyles, behaviors, and cultural and spiritual practices.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management, Accounting, or Finance.
- Clearly demonstrated success as a senior leader and administrator in a nonprofit organization, foundation, or government agency, preferably in the field of homelessness.
- Demonstrated ability to think critically about and balance multiple needs, priorities, and stakeholders to meet agency goals.
- Experience with private nonprofit management and grant accounting in an agency greater than $5,000,000 in revenue, including experience with payroll and payroll allocations, managing audits from independent Certified Public Accountants, government agencies and private funder, as well as ability to create complex organizational budgets. Knowledge of and experience with A-133 audits.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with and maintain strong working relationships with senior management, YouthCare’s board of directors, and staff.
- Proficiency in the use of software programs for accounting, word processing, databases, spreadsheets, email and internet.
- Experience with Abila Sage MIP Software Fund Accounting highly preferred.
- Experience with ADP Workforce Now software highly preferred.
- CPA designation
- Master’s Degree in Business Management, Accounting, or Finance.
- Experience managing external vendors
- Experience using budget modeling software
- A minimum of 8 years of comparable experience
- Ability to perform range of physical motions, exerting up to 50 pounds. Lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds; standing, walking, sitting for long periods of time, kneeling, squatting, and stooping; running for brief periods of time; and go up and down stairs.
BENEFITS: YouthCare provides a competitive benefits package to full time employees including medical, dental, vision, long-term disability, short-term disability, life insurance, 401(k), vacation, paid holidays, and sick leave after successful completion of the 90-day Introductory Period.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT: YouthCare is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs, and not on race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by law. People of Color and Members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.