The Vice President of Relationships and Delivery Management (VPRDM) is a direct report and a key lieutenant to the SVP, Engineering & Chief Information Officer (CIO) within the Engineering and Information Technology (E&IT) function. The VPRDM will have 3 to 4 direct reports and will manage a team of 15 to 25 very highly skilled professionals.
This team is chartered with 2 key responsibilities:
- Gaining the trust and confidence of other functions within the ICANN Org insofar as Engineering & IT solutions are concerned; and
- Delivering appropriate “fit-for-purpose” solutions to the demand-generating functions on-time, on-budget, with uncompromising quality and on-target.
Key Responsibilities & Duties:
- Regularly keep the CIO informed, briefed, and updated on matters of importance, urgency, risk, and criticality to both the E&IT function and ICANN overall, especially the functions which face the ICANN stakeholder ecosystem.
- Providing strategic advice to CIO and the ICANN Org senior management team to improve the management rhythms of the E&IT function.
- Hire, train, coach, and counsel newly hired staff in the E&IT function.
- Partner with the broader ICANN leadership team and the E&IT leadership staff to define, develop and lead the implementation of strategy and success-criteria for the future in the domains of E&IT Governance (Business Case, Phase-gate Review, Go-NoGo, after-the- fact ROI) processes, E&IT Portfolio Management process, Outsourcing processes, and Offshoring / Near-shoring processes.
- Build and leverage relationships, both within ICANN Org and with the ICANN Community, to provide innovative solutions to complex, often uncharted, stakeholder-facing problem territories.
- Identify areas of opportunity to increase Org efficiency and effectiveness, maximize gain- opportunities for investments and to mitigate operational risks.
- Partner closely to gain the trust and respect of other, especially stakeholder-facing, functions.
- Jointly define sharply framed problem statements with demand-generating functions.
- Brainstorm and develop problem resolution approaches.
- Ensure alignment and attainment of goals with the leadership of other functions.
- Oversee the governance and management of highly prioritized projects.
- Assign resources, lead, and direct the work of team members.
- Drive, monitor, measure and communicate delivery against the Org’s strategic plan and the quality of outcomes.
- Serve as a subject matter expert in program management, projects planning and initiatives execution.
- Periodically, evaluate the E&IT Project Management and Portfolio governance practices and recommend improvements.
- Other duties as assigned or requested.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs):
- Organized, with an ability to manage concurrent tasks, projects, assignments, and deadlines tasks, as this role is involved in nearly every aspect of the E&IT function’s operation.
- Practice good judgement in assessing important vs. urgent matters. The role needs to be able to relay information between the CIO and the E&IT staff, also keeping the CIO briefed on what is happening within key functions across the org.
- Attentive and a good listener and possess natural integrative-thinking capability (as in, “connecting the dots in space and time”).
- Should be conceptual in thinking, while being detail-oriented in planning and executing.
- Possess “executive presence”, enabling the incumbent to gain the trust and respect of team members, E&IT peers, and management teams in demand-generating functions.
- Possess strong work-ethic, with unimpeachable integrity
- Exercise force of will and have willingness to “speak truth to power”.
- Have strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, partners, vendors, and the public are required.
- Demonstrable track-record of proven results in leading and overseeing customer and / or partner success stories in the following domains: front- and back-end solution architecture, development, and release management strategies, change management, and direct leadership in designing solutions that meet or exceed customer needs.
- Strong understanding of the E&IT outsourcing environment, computer systems management, business principles, systems improvement, software development life cycles, methodologies, and project management.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent presentation, verbal communication, and written English skills; English as a first language or native speaker-level English skills.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness, creativity, adaptability, and a relentless drive to deliver results through successful execution.
- Strong team building & leadership skills with the ability to build commitment and intense collaboration within cross-functional teams.
- Proven track record in managing multiple high-risk, high-visibility, large-scale initiatives from definition through implementation, collaboratively and effectively prioritizing work schedules based upon business goals and proposing viable options and recommended solutions to address customer needs.
- Strong organizational, financial, administrative and documentation skills.
- Ability to learn quickly, think creatively and provide structure and logic to complex problems with conflicting priorities is essential.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree required, Master's Degree or MBA strongly preferred.
- Minimum fifteen (15) years of experience.
- Licenses/Certifications: Project Management, Process Improvement (e.g. Lean), or Quality related certifications preferred.
- Minimum nine (9) years of project/program management experience.
- Prior experience with Enterprise-class systems Program/Project management preferred.
- Fluency, both written and spoken, in English is required.
- Fluent written and spoken language skills in any of the other official United Nations languages is advantageous.