The Senior Counsel will report directly to and will work closely under the supervision of ICANN’s Deputy General Counsel responsible for oversight of the Legal Department’s Contracting Services Group.
The Senior Counsel will be directly involved in the drafting and negotiation of contracts, providing general transactional legal advice, conducting legal diligence and developing strategic processes for a wide range of transactions for ICANN. The work will require complex problem solving and responsibilities requiring a significant degree of knowledge, decision-making skills and independent judgment.
Key Responsibilities & Duties:
- Structure and negotiate complex legal and business transactions.
- Advise internal business functions on legal issues and risks, and ensure that new contractual engagements comply with relevant laws as well as the organization’s policies and procedures.
- Advise business function colleagues on the legal aspects and best practices of software licenses, Software as a Service (SaaS) agreements and other technology related contracts.
- Draft and review a variety of agreements including software licenses, SaaS agreements, registry/registrar agreements, requests for proposal, various vendor relationships and intellectual property matters.
- Provide leadership and training (where necessary) to less senior members of the Legal Contracting team.
- Exercise independent judgment to identify potential legal issues related to business practices and policies, discuss with Deputy General Counsel and provide advice to all levels of management and staff as directed.
- Draft correspondence related to transactional matters.
- Work on complex legal projects with support of Deputy General Counsel.
- Keep Deputy General Counsel apprised of legal issues of note for the org.
- Work with litigation counsel (both in-house and outside counsel) as appropriate to the extent transactional matters are involved in litigation.
- Other duties as assigned or requested.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs):
- Strong business acumen with an acute understanding of the balance between risk and reward.
- Knowledge of contracting best practices, particularly in the technology industry.
- Ability to manage shifting priorities and navigate unresolved areas of law.
- Sound business/legal judgment with ability to balance business objectives and risk, and solve legal problems in a high-output, fast moving environment.
- Exceptional writing, contract drafting, and oral communication skills.
- High-quality work product with fast turnaround times.
- Ability to work in cross-functional teams and experience with project management environments is beneficial.
- Clear proven ability to understand consensus building.
- Knowledge of ICANN’s Multistakeholder Model, the domain name system and the top-level domain name industry is preferred.
- Curiosity and passion for the development of the internet and domain name system.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Juris Doctorate Degree required.
- Minimum ten (10) years legal experience with increasing responsibility and a focus on transactional-related legal work, including contract drafting and negotiations and providing substantive review, analysis and advice on such proposed transactions.
- Active license to practice law and being a member in good standing with the appropriate bar or other legal authority is required, California bar membership is preferred.
- Substantial experience advising on software, SaaS and other technology related agreements is preferred.
- Experience in multi-national transactions is preferred.
- Experience or understanding of public-benefit, non-profit or multistakeholder environments is a plus.
- Fluency, both written and spoken, in English is required.
- Fluent written and spoken language skills in any of the other official United Nations languages is a plus.