Exponent is a leading engineering and scientific consulting firm that brings together more than 90 different disciplines to solve the most pressing and complicated challenges facing stakeholders today. Our vision is to engage the brightest scientists and engineers to empower clients with solutions for a safe, healthy, sustainable and technologically complex world. We leverage over 50 years of experience in analyzing accidents and failures to advise clients as they innovate their technologically complex products and processes, ensure the safety and health of their users, and address the challenges of sustainability.
We offer opportunities for you to expand your engineering or scientific knowledge amidst experts from top programs at over 500 universities. At Exponent, you will apply your experience, technical skills, and prior academic research to a fulfilling career in consulting. You will have the opportunity to develop continuously through formal and informal development programs, coaching and mentoring, and involvement in a wide array of projects. We are excited about your interest in joining our growing team!
- 1100+ Team members
- 900+ Consultants
- 550+ Ph.D.s
- 30+ Offices globally
We are currently seeking a Scientist for our Polymer Science & Materials Chemistry Practice in Menlo Park, CA. In this role you will possess extensive practical knowledge of the physical, chemical and mechanical behavior of macromolecules and will be highly skilled in a range of analytical and experimental techniques including FTIR, DSC, TGA, DMA, Fractography, Chromatography and Microscopy. Experience in polymer synthesis, polymer resin formulations, and adhesive chemistry is a plus. This position requires some travel (limited during COVID-19) and will involve collaborating with scientists and engineers from other Exponent offices and practices. A long-term goal for a successful candidate will be to develop business by obtaining new projects and bringing new clients to the firm.
You will be responsible for:
- Inspecting, scientific analyzation and testing to address the specification and reliability of polymeric materials in a variety of applications ranging from consumer products to medical devices
- Analyzing root cause of a wide variety of failures related to issues arising in development, manufacturing or use of products manufactured for the construction, medical device, consumer electronics, and pharmaceutical industries
- Gathering information and conveying technical conclusions to individuals in engineering, business, law and industry
You will have the following skills and qualifications:
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or a related field
- A strong theoretical and practical knowledge of macromolecules and associated characterization techniques
- Experience with sampling techniques and statistical data analysis for FTIR, DSC, TGA, DMA, Chromatography and Microscopy (optical and electron-based techniques)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Superior problem-solving abilities
- Strong educational and publication credentials
- Strong teamwork and leadership skills
To learn more about life at Exponent and our impact, please visit the following links:
We value and encourage diversity, equity and inclusion across all facets of our firm. Having a team built of people with different backgrounds, skills and perspectives allows us to provide better value to our clients and enjoy an enriched work environment.
Our firm is committed to offering a variety of programs and resources to support health and well-being. We believe that providing competitive benefits as well as compensation and recognition programs empowers our staff to do work that makes a difference.
Exponent is a proud equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may call us at +1 (650) 688-6968 or email email@example.com.