Canada (Position Location Flexible)
WSP is currently seeking a Director of Product and Business Development for SMARTAir, a cloud-based Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) offering focused on helping building owners and tenants assess and improve their indoor air quality. This role will report to Vice President & General Manager Mechanical & Electrical in Canada.
This role, under general direction, leads the creation, communication, and execution of the SMARTAir business strategic plan. Focuses on key strategic planning dimensions including geographic, technological, product, market and branding expansion/growth, market research activities, and assessment of inter-divisional synergies, alliance development and acquisitions to support value creation.
This role is a key enabler of long-term revenue growth and profits (both organic and inorganic). You will possess expertise in a wide range of standard product marketing methodologies and processes, solving complex product challenges and be a key driver to implement effective data driven analytical tools across a multidiscipline Engineering firm. You will be a true leader, collaborating with dynamic cross-functional teams of engineers, project managers, and experts. Possessing an ability to self-direct and exercise independent judgment, the Product and Business Development Director will have effective interpersonal skills and champion client focus in all aspects of the role.
This role is key to driving strategies that will significantly impact long-term business performance in the areas of air quality solution development, channel development, execution planning, mergers & acquisitions and alliances, technology evaluation and management, and business analytics. Recommendations shall be presented to senior and corporate management for approval and commencement of action plan / investment. Drives further linkage by executing through financial reviews, due diligence, and negotiation support.
RESPONSIBILITIES, the successful candidate will..
- Create a defined and focused comprehensive strategy for the SMARTAir platform which will enable the optimization and growth of advisory and integrated solutions to WSP client through our operations.
- Drive SMARTAir revenues, growth and profitability, with a special focus on product line growth targets. Immediate focus will be IAQ and CO2 modeling offerings to back-to-work / back-to-school environments.
- Drive new product development enhancements to SMARTAir leveraging the combined strength of 50,000+ Global Experts from beginning phase of scoping the product enhancements through to the end phase of launch.
- Lead Voice of the Client (VOC) efforts to ensure that proposed SMARTAir concepts meet the needs of the clients and provide value differentiation to WSP Engineering teams.
- Develop and implement plans to lead entire life cycle of all products from launch through obsolescence.
- Identify, recommend, and facilitate partnerships/alliances with other firms and industry partners to strengthen the SMARTAir portfolios to improve sales and distribution channels success. Generate and maintain competitive market analysis.
- Drive identified market growth and penetration initiatives including development, implementation, and control plans. Conduct regular team review meetings to ensure program success.
- Key contributor to strategic plan development to provide long-term SMARTAir direction and life cycle management; similarly contribute to the annual operating plan development.
- Define market needs for new solutions; lead new product development and coordinate with external strategic partners to maintain a competitive offering.
- Provide SMARTAir development team leadership including establishment of project team, review presentations, generation of product specifications, launch plans, PR coordination, MarCom coordination and sales plan development.
- Develop annual pricing strategies with justifications that include competitive product comparisons, internal portfolio rationalization and overall market trends.
- Work with MarCom to increase product visibility and lead generation via news releases, application notes and technical articles. Provide input for literature, advertisements, and other MarCom components. Participate in trade shows.
- Build, direct and manage SMARTAir field team to ensure product launches are effective and achieve sales goals.
- Develop sales tools, i.e., presentations, seminars, application notes, product demos, technical documentation proposal materials and competitive analyses to assist Engineering force.
- Stay ahead of market trends and developments in the indoor air quality industry by maintaining communications with specialists, regulatory agencies, and organizations, standards bodies, and reviewing published literature.
- Stay ahead of market trends and developments in the indoor air quality solutions, distributions, and platform providers. Direct staff and work with partners to ensure effective products and solutions.
- Strong enterprise experience working in and with large and complex multi-regional companies. Although this role is Canadian based experience working with global and emerging markets is a plus.
- Proven success in leading, planning and implementing successful product line programs and expertise in full product life cycle management is a plus.
- The ideal candidate will have a clear understanding of Engineering Consulting and Construction marketplace and have a reputation and track record for leading business alignment and growth. The candidate should be able to influence, be a successful communicator, and have a passion to succeed.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated project management experience a plus
- Ability to direct, manage and report on financial performance. Strong business acumen with experience managing a P&L a plus
- Demonstrable business development experience within the local Consulting Engineering environment.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong partnerships with internal and external Clients, Contractors and Integrators.
- Ability to think strategically and develop new services or approaches to market as dictated by demand.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to communicate at all levels of the organization in a direct and professional manner.
- Minimum of 10+ years of progressive experience in product management, sales, consulting engineering or related sector within the construction industry.
- MBA or Engineering Degree