Director, Land Development & Municipal Engineering, Saskatchewan/Manitoba
NOTE: Application deadline is August 27, 2021. We anticipate interviews beginning in September 2021.
WSP’s Land Development & Municipal Engineering (LD & ME) Team is currently seeking three Directors to lead our Western Canada regions: British Columbia, Alberta, and Saskatchewan/Manitoba. Reporting to the VP, Western Canada, these roles are an opportunity to provide technical, financial and people leadership to a team of professionals, technicians, and managers. You will be an integral part of the delivery of our LD & ME team in the region, and in coordination with other leaders across Canada.
You will play a critical role in delivering on our WSP Canada strategic and operational plan, and as such requires demonstrable experience optimizing strategic services, value-add project delivery, enabling the growth of the business and ensuring client satisfaction above all else.
- You are passionate and interested in taking the next step in your career to take on a leadership role
- You demonstrate expertise in optimizing the financial, commercial, and project delivery performance of an existing business
- You have proven success in client relationship management and strong leadership and motivational skills
- You have a genuine commitment to the firm’s values and our team’s success
The candidates should have a demonstrated ability to lead a team of professionals with excellent communication skills both internally with staff and externally with clients.
What you can expect:
- Relying on your experience, you will provide leadership and operational expertise through clear communication of the vision, strategy, operating plan, budgets and targets. Working with your team leaders, you’ll engage all employees in achieving the regional objectives, and ensure our people understand what key performance indicators contribute to our success as a whole;
- You will own the performance of the discipline’s people & operations including employee and project performance, operating margin, productivity and DSO;
- Supporting the business line strategy, you will cascade regional and staff objectives, as well as the creation and implementation of local action plans in support of achieving goals related to optimizing financial performance, quality, safety, culture and engagement;
- You’ll be fostering productive relationships with leaders in other regions to leverage collaboration, idea sharing, and resource distribution to optimize efficiency and provide opportunities to staff;
- You will provide operational expertise and oversight within the region to team leads, project managers, and other professionals;
- You’ll maintain and nurture key client relationships, seek to understand evolving client needs, local industry trends and upcoming opportunities in the Region to anticipate and plan for maximizing growth opportunities;
- You will act as a change leader, taking responsibility to understand the various national programs and practices which are being rolled out and providing support and training to staff to implement these locally;
- As part of effective talent planning, you’ll understand the short and long-term workforce requirements, including identifying future skill sets aligned with the strategic vision, conducting a gap analysis, and proactively building a deep talent pool;
- Living our values every day, you’ll put nothing above the safety of our employees.
- Other duties as assigned/required.
What you’ll bring to the role:
- An undergraduate in Engineering or other related technical discipline preferred
- Graduate degree and/or professional accreditation would be an asset
- Senior level (10+) years of consulting expertise where you’ve previously managed or led operational teams in a matrix structure;
- Solid understanding of the local market
- Established people and leadership skills to effectively lead diverse teams and nurture relationships across a matrix structure; creating a climate where people want to perform through working collaboratively, empowering teams to identify and solve problems, creating a clear sense of identity within the company, holding teams accountable for meeting their collective goals
- A history of delivering quality financial performance and results and a proven track record demonstrating good judgement, balanced with informed risk-taking;
- Strong interpersonal skills including negotiation, communication and client relationship.
- Internal WSP experience considered a strong asset, but not required