A day in the life:
As an Employee Experience Advisor, you will provide guidance on solutions and strategies to resolve issues on a variety of People and Culture process related topics. You will partner with the Strategic Talent Team, Centers of Excellence, and the operational leaders with an objective of creating a consistent employee experience throughout the employee life cycle.
You will demonstrate an in-depth understanding of WSP’s People & Culture strategy and enablers, with a focus on integrating the talent strategy, including supporting our broader redeployment strategy, to drive a high-performance and thriving diverse culture. By effectively engaging in resolving employee relations matters with proficient coaching of management, you’ll be ensuring WSP remains and attractive employer, and maintaining strong engagement levels with staff.
You will become a subject matter expert in key employee experience drivers, and provide insight and expertise to operational leaders and the Strategic Talent Team. This will include helping with individual employee development as well as helping coach managers on how to get the best out of their employees.
You will create strong and effective partnerships with internal HR functions, such as the broader Employee Experience Team, the Strategic Talent Leader Team, and the Centers of Excellence to provide best in class service to our internal clients. You will also build relationships with your broader Corporate Services teams within WSP to continue to develop and foster collaboration.
You will manage the collective reputation of the entire People & Culture team by being an ambassador of the People & Culture programs and by supporting the implementation of COE programs, as well as defining and delivering HR solutions.
Employee Experience Advisors have a variety of interactions with colleagues, managers, employees, and leaders as they respond to questions and issues related to HR policy and process. You will interact with legal, safety, finance and other interdependent functions to determine appropriate course of action and bring issues to closure. Core areas of advisory services include:
- Performance management: Provide advice and counsel on performance management issues. Partners with the Strategic Talent Advisor, manager, and other business leaders as necessary to address performance gaps and facilitates discussions to assess appropriate action. Provides coaching to managers on all aspects of performance including delivering effective feedback and improving performance.
- Workforce relations: Conduct internal investigations and brings closure following appropriate protocol. Effectively investigate and implement resolutions on workplace issues in an effort to minimize risk to the organization. Collaborate with legal, safety, finance, and other internal parties as needed on situations that have potential for broad exposure.
- Talent Management: Act as a resource on competencies and development tools for managers and colleagues. May facilitate corporate courses for employee or manager development. Partner with employees on the creation of their Personal Development Plan to help them achieve their career goals within WSP.
- Offboarding: Supporting where asked to generate severance calculations for employees identified for involuntary offboarding. You will partner with operational leaders to coach and prepare them for involuntary offboarding discussions with employees, and participate in the meeting with those leaders, keeping the safety and wellbeing of our employees at the forefront.
- Return to work experience: Partner with the absence management team during complex return to work cases to facilitate a positive experience for employees returning from disability leave. This may involve coaching the receiving manager on ways to reintegrate the employee effectively into the workforce. Manage complex return to work cases for employees returning from other leaves of absence, including temporary layoffs.
- Policy/Procedure/Employment Practices and Laws: Respond to complex questions about People and Culture policy/process. Support managers in applying policies to high risk situations. You may become a subject matter expert in employment law for a region within Canada to provide guidance to your peers, and the broader People and Culture team.
- Acquisitions & Divestitures: As required, you may partner with the operational, legal, and finance teams to participate in, or project manage, a WSP acquisition or divestiture.
Key Competencies for this role include:
- Diploma or Degree in Human Resources preferred; CPHR considered an asset;
- 5+ years of experience in an HR generalist role with proven experience in management coaching, performance management, and employee development;
- Coaching and advisory skills;
- Sound judgment;
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels in the organization; excellent listening, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills;
- Knowledge of employment laws and People and Culture trends;
- Ability to effectively collaborate within the People & Culture team;
- Demonstrated ability to consult, influence and partner with leaders in executing people strategies;
- Well-developed team-building and influencing skills, unquestioned integrity, and the experience, confidence, and stature to effectively address sensitive People & Culture issues;
- Capability, energy, experience, presence and accountability outlook to quickly establish and maintain the People & Culture team’s credibility coupled with the ability to influence management, resolve conflicts with experience supporting leaders nationally in a matrix organization;
- Informal roll up your sleeves and get it done leadership style that is people-centric, effective and marked by a high level of energy;
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in time-sensitive situations.