VANCOUVER, OR ANY MAJOR CENTRE IN CANADA
WSP is currently seeking a Senior Materials Engineer with a strong focus on concrete and construction materials technology to work out of our office in Vancouver, British Columbia. Alternatively, there is a possibility for the candidate to reside at an alternate WSP office location within Canada.
The Senior Engineer will play a critical role in managing technical projects and client relationships while mentoring and developing junior engineers. Reporting to the Concrete Technology Group Leader, the Senior Engineer possesses a strong background in construction materials engineering, business development, and maintaining client relationships. The Senior Engineer is a key component of delivering on the strategic plans for growth of the BC and Canadian business.
The senior engineer possesses a strong knowledge of engineering design principles for concrete, with a particular emphasis on condition assessment and rehabilitation design, and having a broad awareness of materials science of concrete, aggregates, soil, and asphalt pavement engineering. The senior engineer must also be familiar with testing of concrete and aggregates in accordance with CSA and ASTM Standards.
- Provision of materials consulting engineering services for sectors such as: industrial, commercial, municipal, highway, and residential projects for both new construction and the condition assessment and rehabilitation of existing infrastructure;
- Remain highly active on project delivery and billable work;
- Preparation of specifications and contract management related to concrete and construction technology;
- Preparation and review of proposals and technical reports;
- Concrete mix design and review;
- Structural repair and rehabilitation;
- Mass concrete thermal mitigation design;
- Non-destructive evaluation of reinforced concrete;
- Service life and durability evaluation; and
- Asphalt pavement mix design and review.
- Procurement of work for construction materials engineering personnel including: concrete, aggregates, soils, and asphalt pavement;
- Will maintain involvement on various industry associations (CSA, ACI, ICRI, etc.) and undertake activities and initiatives such as conference attendance, technical committee involvement, and presentations.
- Initiate and/or assist other members of the Materials Team in business development and developing internal and external clients along with strong Client interaction; and
- Other duties as assigned/required by the Group Lead.
- Reviews assignments prepared by junior personnel for technical accuracy;
- Prepares or supervises the preparation of project cost estimates; and
- Responsible for the effectiveness of project management regarding the functions of project procurement, administrative and technical scope management;
- A degree in a Civil or Materials Engineering discipline with a heavy focus on construction materials (concrete, asphalt pavement, aggregates). A post-graduate degree (Master’s or higher) is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 to 10 years of experience in the Materials Engineering field in Canada (experience in the Greater Vancouver area of BC considered a significant asset);
- Demonstrated ability to work with limited supervision to achieve provided objectives;
- Demonstrated acumen with procurement of work and business development is necessary;
- Registered P. Eng. Status, or ability to become registered, with EGBC;
- Ability to occasional out of town travel;
- Ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions (such as remote areas, inclement weather, and working alone);
- Must hold a valid BC Driver’s License; and
- Strong technical, oral, and written communication skills in English. Additionally, French would be an asset