CALGARY, EDMONTON OR VANCOUVER
In anticipation of future project demands, WSP invites talented Senior Project Managers to apply for our Rail & Transit Team, located in our Calgary, Edmonton, or Vancouver offices.
Reporting to the Director, Rail & Transit – West, this position will be responsible for managing multi-disciplinary teams responsible for delivering complex projects on time, within budget and with quality results. The Senior Project Manager will plan, organize, monitor, and oversee one or more projects, with fees ranging from $500,000 to over $50,000,000. Project scope may include policy reviews, research, operational reviews, network planning, transit planning and design, and construction administration. Types of projects include light rail, commuter rail or subway infrastructure, new or expanded stations and mobility hubs, operations and maintenance facilities, and other associated transit works. The Senior Project Manager will also act as a Team Leader, providing overall guidance and mentorship to staff, and assisting with business development activities.
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams of Project Managers, Engineers, Project Controls Analysts, Designers, Inspectors, and other staff as required;
- Lead the teams through the successful completion of large complex projects;
- Prepare project work plans and schedules, and obtain management/client approval;
- Prepare and review proposals, and provide written comments for design and technical proposal submissions by consultants and/or design-build or PPP consortium;
- Review technical documents for tender; working cooperatively with counterparts in other departments in order to meet client requirements;
- Maintain regular communication with clients regarding project status and project quality, and proactively resolve issues;
- Manage relationships with project stakeholders, including internal and external clients and vendors, regulatory authorities and technical agencies, and the public. This involves keeping the stakeholders informed of progress and issues in order to manage expectations on all project requirements and deliverables, and meet the project schedule;
- Proactively track, analyze and report on actual performance against the plan, and prepare cost and schedule reporting, both for clients and as part of internal reporting processes. Address change management matters promptly and professionally with clients and internal departments;
- Analyze project management and project delivery risks, establish contingency plans and identify trigger events and responsibility for initiating mitigating action;
- Lead and manage business development initiatives including Requests for Qualifications and Requests for Proposals; with input from others, compile a comprehensive and realistic scope of work, and prepare a complete and accurate fee estimate, in a format suitable for obtaining the required management approvals;
- Work with Team Leads/Project Managers to monitor the overall performance of projects being undertaken by the department, ensuring effective and proactive management of project finances, scope, schedule, quality and effective client service;
- Provide leadership and support to ensure consistent and effective use of corporate project management tools. e.g. Project Status Reports (PSR);
- As Team Leader, provide mentoring, assistance, encouragement and motivation to team members, including assisting the Department Manager with the establishment of development and performance goals, fostering an environment focused on achievement, and formal and informal performance review; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- A University Degree in Engineering, Planning or equivalent, with 15+ years in Project or Design Management experience on large, complex engineering and construction projects. Experience within an engineering consulting environment is preferred;
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in Alberta (APEGA), or eligible to register through a reciprocal agreement;
- Experience leading multi-disciplinary teams of project professionals; concurrently managing issues, scope and quality while bringing projects to successful completion within the cost and time requirements;
- Experience with complex transit infrastructure, including light rail, commuter rail and subway technologies, facilities, stations and associated infrastructure;
- Familiarity with all commonly used project delivery models;
- Strong business development and client management skills, including sound understanding of contract law, scheduling techniques, and budget development;
- Experience in project planning, risk management, cost management and schedule management, and methods of analyzing and reporting project performance on financial and other KPIs;
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, including experience making presentations to senior management, elected officials and the public;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; the ability to work well with people from many different disciplines with varying degrees of technical experience; competence in clear, concise and tactful communication with senior management, clients, peers and staff;
- Strategic, conceptual analytical thinking and decision making skills;
- Adaptability and flexibility including the ability to manage deadline pressure, ambiguity and change;
- Negotiating skills within a context of political sensitivity and conflicting interests; and
- Proficiency with project management software tools.