VANCOUVER (or other WSP Office Location in Western Canada)
Overview of the opportunity
Reporting to the Vice President, Environment, British Columbia the Environmental Mining Director, West will be responsible for and actively involved in the building of the regional business and in winning and delivering projects to the mining industry in the West Region and across Canada. As a key leader embedded within the Environmental Business Line, you will be part of a robust business line that has delivered revenue of over $135M in 2018. Environment represents a significant Canadian business portfolio for WSP Canada and WSP globally.
This opportunity with WSP represents a unique and enticing occasion to grow and develop a new service offering in alignment with our strategic plan in a region where WSP is already well established in the marketplace. At WSP, we have positioned ourselves as the premier provider of innovative, value-added solutions across multiple diverse sectors, drawing on our 130+ years of collective strength and experience.
Through your expertise and deep understanding of the mining sector, including inherent risks and challenges, you’ll rely on your prior experience and demonstrated leadership building a discipline across a province/territory to develop WSP’s potential in a growing and niche market. You will have significant demonstrable experience building relationships throughout organizational and client networks that will support developing and optimizing the performance of a niche business. As the business grows you will be developing plans, programs, and organizational objectives to enable the rapid growth of the business, focusing on ensuring high performance and client satisfaction.
All activities are undertaken in support of the WSP Canada strategic plan.
- A Canadian success story - a company that grew from humble roots in Quebec to a global, multinational powerhouse with over 48,000 employees worldwide;
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada;
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than we were yesterday, for our employees, future employees, and our fellow Canadians, we're open to your ideas and trying new things;
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer competitive pay, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- Drawing from the business line strategy, you will develop and implement an action plan(s) to achieve expected results and provide guidance to align the business strategy to the market vision;
- You will build and develop a team of experts while leveraging the existing geotechnical and environmental staff locally and across the region.
- You'll actively lead and participate in positioning WSP in the mining industry to develop the local and regional markets. Participate in industry associations and proactively work to raise local WSP brand awareness, encouraging staff to do the same;
- You'll build and maintain strong relationships with other discipline leaders and senior leadership, representing West's needs and identifying opportunities to resource share and collaborate;
- You can expect to manage proposals and contractual agreements originating within the region, liaise internally within other disciplines to create local business development plans across disciplines and sectors;
- You will maintain a high degree of personal involvement with major clients. Proactively seek to understand evolving client needs, local and industry trends, and upcoming project opportunities in Western Canada.
- You'll keep appraised of new market news to identify, assess and analyze innovative technologies and solutions that add value and strength to our proposals and to support the organization’s Future Ready Initiative
- You will always ensure health and safety policies are followed at all sites and take WSP's Life-Saving rules to heart;
We'd love to hear from you if you have...
- A university degree in degree in Civil/Geotechnical or Geological Engineering from an accredited curriculum, with courses in advanced soil mechanics and a professional designation;
- Strong technical and project delivery experience in mining projects related to tailings management, dam design and construction combined with a good understanding of current and evolving tailings technologies and best practices, with an environmental focus;
- Knowledge of MAC, CDA, ICOLD, ICMM and other industry guidelines and frameworks;
- 10+ years' experience of industry experience with a proven track record in building strategic client relationships in targeted markets and achieving growth targets;
- Experience in managing professional teams; the ability to lead dynamically and energize multidiscipline work teams to learn and apply new skills and techniques to respond to business needs;
- A network of senior contacts in the Western Canada-based (or North American based) mining industry and experience interacting with clients at all levels;
- Experience in working in a team environment and managing large business opportunities from the identification of prospects through to closing in both structured and unstructured client environments;
- Ability to identify client opportunities that fit with our service offering and an ability to translate these client needs into compelling business proposals;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategy;
- Ability to travel as required.