Come join the Tillamook Team where our philosophy is “Dairy Done Right.” As an independent farmer-owned cooperative, we have been guided by good, honest values since 1909. We believe in putting quality over profit, natural over artificial, and that hard work can never be outsmarted. We’re taking a stand for real food, because everyone deserves better.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce. At Tillamook, we believe that inclusion and diversity are central to our cultural strategy. In order to achieve our growth ambition and compete and win in the marketplace, we believe we make better decisions and build stronger teams when we invite and rely on diverse perspectives, thoughts, backgrounds and cultures into our work and to fuel our innovation and growth. To us this means creating a climate of inclusion where all employees feel valued and a sense of belonging. We believe this will make us a better consumer brand and employer.
What does real food mean to you? Is your favorite dish a cheesy casserole? Perhaps a decadent and indulgent ice cream? Either way, your identification with food is important to us. People who fit well here at Tillamook have a commitment to quality in everything they do. Our team members understand our vision, contribute to our mission, thrive on innovative thinking, hard work and good, honest values.
Our team members understand our vision, contribute to our mission, thrive on innovative thinking, hard work and good, honest values. We live by these shared values: We are Good Stewards, We believe in Uncompromising Quality, We work as One Team, We Play to Win, and We Genuinely Care for each other.
What you will do:
We are looking for a dynamic solution finder and experienced buyer to join our growing procurement team. The ideal candidate has a proven track record of creative sourcing solutions and purchasing packaging materials and ingredients, including managing supplier relationships, conducting new supplier searches, Requests for Proposal (RFPs), supporting new product development and innovation, while developing outstanding cross functional partnerships. The Buyer will report to the Sr. Purchasing Manager and be responsible for coordinating, sourcing, ordering sample / prototype/ trial materials, negotiating pricing and terms with suppliers, and purchasing in a variety of areas including packaging, ingredients and services across multiple categories and serving on multiple internal project teams. The successful candidate demonstrates proactive communication of solutions, actions, progress, and deliverables in cross-functional forums and by working directly with suppliers, Research & Development, Project Management, Category Management, Design, Finance, Quality Assurance, Operations, and Supply Chain colleagues. This role’s requirements include critical steps in the timely and accurate commercialization of purchased goods: comprised of supplying the team and master data with purchase price, specifications, ordering parameters, approved vendor(s), order minimums and multiples, terms of payment and delivery. Preferred Experience with sourcing innovative packaging & ingredients.
Here’s a day in the life:
- Buyer for a portfolio of materials including packaging, ingredients and services including identifying existing and potential suppliers for materials by determining the ideal combination of capability, capacity, total cost/price, quality, and availability
- Serves as a subject matter expert or team representative on multiple project teams including documenting project deliverables, actions, progress, and completion in company work management application (Workfront, other) and supporting project sourcing needs
- Requests quotations and negotiates product prices, financial terms, shipping requirements and freight costs
- Prepares and issues purchase orders and change notices for pre-launch, prototype and active materials including reviewing for conformance to company policy, reconciling orders and invoices for accuracy (correct items, quantity, and dollar amount) and managing inventory reconciliation.
- Creative solution finder including driving expedites on overdue and back ordered items and finding supply solutions often leveraging relationships across multiple production sites.
- Supports new product development and process improvements through identification, selection, and activation, with stakeholder alignment, of new, or improved, supply solutions.
- Drive defective or unacceptable goods resolution with quality assurance users, vendors, and others to determine source of trouble and take corrective action
- Arranges for disposal of surplus materials
- Approves invoices for payment
- Communicates purchased item parameters (price, terms, order minimums and multiples, unit pack sizes, etc.) an obtains stakeholder alignment
- Evaluates vendors to determine most desirable suppliers after conducting value for money and total cost of ownership analysis.
- Maintains procurement records such as items or services purchased, costs, delivery, product quality or performance, cost savings, price variance, and inventories
- Maintains vendor and supplier files including capabilities mapping and scorecards
- Evaluates sales representatives and vendors for service and reliability
- Recruits and maintains supplier relationships that provide high quality products and services at an ideal price while maintaining the highest code of ethics and conduct
- Reviews bid proposals and negotiates contracts within budgetary limitations and scope of authority and leads RFPs in buying areas
- Confers with vendors to obtain product or service information such as price, availability, and delivery schedule
- Conducts market analysis to verify supplier pricing is appropriate and/or in keeping with current market conditions
- Negotiates complex requests for materials, supplies, and services from suppliers and subcontractors
- Analyzes opportunities to change materials, supplies, or vendors to reduce costs or risk, to improve quality or service, and/or to drive sustainability or stewardship objectives.
- Analyzes market and delivery conditions to determine present and future material availability and potential risks
- Able to prepare and deliver market analysis reports to stakeholders
- Enhances vendor and stakeholder relationships
- Evaluates vendors using the Vendor Scorecard and leads regular business review meetings with key suppliers
- Communicates effectively
- Utilizes a computer with working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Teams and SharePoint. Experience with Microsoft Dynamics 365 ERP and Power BI preferred
- Is a customer service focused team player able to interact with at all levels of the company
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent experience is required. An Associate is preferred; a Bachelor’s degree is a plus
- Experience with purchasing is required
- Previous experience with purchasing in a manufacturing environment a plus
- Valid Oregon driver’s license with satisfactory driving record
Industry leading benefit and reward programs:
We offer outstanding benefits to our employees. For more information, please visit the careers page: www.tillamook.com/careers.
We are committed to creating a diverse culture and inclusive conditions where all employees are heard, valued and feel a sense of belonging. We rely on different perspectives, thoughts, backgrounds and cultures to inform our work, to help us be better as a brand and as an employer and to fuel our success. We are seeking talent from a wide range of diversity, perspectives and backgrounds to join our exceptional organization and help us build our future.
Tillamook County Creamery Association (TCCA) is a Drug-Free Workplace. EEO/AA