The Master Control Supervisor ensures the television master control personnel meet the operational performance goals for the department and Broadcast Services. The Master Control Supervisor operates all equipment associated with the master control system. The Master Control Supervisor trains and supervises all Master Control Operators, ensures operator proficiency, and is primarily responsible for creating, maintaining, and ensuring compliance with Master Control standard operating procedures and documentation.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: A high school diploma or the equivalent is required. One or more years of college or technical college preferred. Technical skills training is preferred.
- Experience: Previous Master Control experience in an automated master control room environment is required. Previous supervisory experience is preferred.
- Bi-lingual (Spanish) required.
- Basic proficiency with computers is required.
- The ability to effectively manage people, projects and daily work load in a demanding, technical, and real-time environment is required.
- The Master Control Supervisor must be able to operate a variety of computer application programs, including automation systems, character generators, systems remote control, and be very familiar with television traffic systems.
- The ability to understand and document technical and operational aspects of master process, procedures and master control equipment along with the ability to train and evaluate Master Control Operators as required.
- The ability to follow verbal and written directions as well as the ability to communicate directions to others are required.
- Must be able to work with other departments within Broadcast Services to ensure all departments interface efficiently with on- air operations.
- The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
- Skills in the operation of digital broadcast equipment, software, and data networks and devices such as broadcast video recorders, video servers, audio/video routers, and master control switchers, satellite receivers, and television transmitters are required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversees the day-to-day operation of the Master Control department by preparing work schedules for Master Control Operators, developing and updating written Standard Operation Procedures for Master Control, and developing station specific operator manuals for all Master Control equipment.
- Ensures all Master Control Operators are trained on new and existing equipment and systems and are able to operate the station within station and federal requirements by developing training procedures and providing group and individual training sessions as needed.
- Assures adequate staffing of the master control function by fulfilling regular shift responsibilities and serving as on-call replacement for operators who are sick, on vacation or otherwise unavailable.
- Ensures the effective and efficient operation of the master control function by regularly analyzing the performance of operators, ensuring compliance to standard operating procedures, improving and updating procedures in consultation with Master Control Operators and other units within the Broadcast Services. Ensuring master control equipment is working efficiently by communicating with the engineering unit, documenting, and tracking equipment problems.
- Ensures compliance with applicable regulations and communication with other departments by maintaining discrepancy logs and equipment incident reports and regularly auditing these documents to identify areas where performance or process needs improvement.
- Supervises and evaluates the performance of Master Control Operators by maintaining performance records.
- Responsible for Quality Control/Quality Assurance of content prior to airing.
- Responsible for pre-checks of content prior to airing
- Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required by management.
- Contributes to the overall success of Broadcast Services by performing other duties as assigned by the VP of Engineering.
- The Master Control Supervisor is supervised by the VP of Engineering and supervises the Master Control Operators.
Meruelo Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer.