Meruelo Group, LLC is a privately held management company that serves a diversified portfolio of affiliated companies across a wide range of industries including Construction and Engineering, Hospitality and Gaming, Television, Radio, Real Estate, Food Services and Private Equity.
Legal Assistant (Resident in Las Vegas)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide administrative and clerical support to attorneys.
- Manage attorney calendars and scheduling, including litigation and transactional deadlines, court dates, and day-to-day meetings and calls.
- Legal data entry and tracking, such as legal assignments, entry of events into a matter tracking system, and following up with attorneys and paralegals to keep them on track with deadlines.
- Communicate with department executives and staff regarding legal projects.
- Assist with preparing various litigation and transactional legal documents.
- Conduct foundational and online research.
- Review and summarize company obligations for upcoming contract and labor negotiations.
- 1 year of experience in an administrative role, preferably within a legal department and/or legal firm.
- Willingness to work with a variety of legal skill sets and practices across diverse industries.
- Strong time management, organization, reasoning and research skills.
- Excellent computer skills, written and oral communication skills, and attention to detail.
- Ability to quickly respond to changing instructions and understand complex cases.
- Experience cite-checking, proofing, filing, and serving motions and other papers in state and federal courts.
- Working knowledge of software tools necessary to conduct litigation (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Acrobat, and document management systems).
- Familiarity with online search techniques and accessing public databases, such as County Recorder, Secretary of State, County, and City websites and filing databases.
- Ability to solve practical problems, take direction, multi-task and prioritize.
- Ability to work effectively with co-workers, customers and others by sharing ideas in a constructive and positive manner.
- Excellent work ethic and attendance.
- Consistency in giving feedback regarding work progress, timetable and issues.