Title: Project Manager, Legal & Strategic Advocacy
Reports to: Vice President, Legal & Strategic Advocacy
Status: Full time, exempt position
Position opened: April 1, 2021
About the Organization: New Teacher Center (NTC) is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to disrupting the predictability of educational inequities for systemically underserved students by accelerating educator effectiveness. Founded by teachers in 1998, NTC works with leaders at all levels of a system to center students’ needs to transform professional learning. In 2019-20, NTC developed the instructional leadership of over 8,000 instructional leaders to reach 25,000 teachers and impact the learning of 1.8M students in over 360 districts across 25 states. For more information, please visit: http://www.newteachercenter.org/
Job Summary: Under the direction of the Vice President, Legal & Strategic Advocacy, the Project Manager, Legal & Strategic Advocacy collaborates with leaders and staff across the organization to improve the business processes and risk management of the organization. The Project Manager, Legal & Strategic Advocacy works with colleagues across NTC to help ensure that daily operation of the organization progresses smoothly. This position collaborates with different departments and partners with stakeholders internally and externally to prepare agreements and proposals that protect the organization from risk, to ensure compliance with NTC policies, and to assist in keeping the organization in compliance with applicable state and federal laws. The Project Manager supports NTC’s developing policy and advocacy agenda through research and participation in initiatives. Demonstrated commitment to core Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion principles required.
Responsibilities & Essential Functions: The following is an overview of the duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. The employee may perform other duties as required.
- Support compliance and risk management efforts across departments. Under the direction of the Vice President, Legal & Strategic Advocacy, the Project Manager, Legal & Strategic Advocacy will generate and execute risk-management and compliance policies and processes across NTC. This part of the role will require close collaboration with Finance, Human Resources, Information Technology, Development, Program, and Operations. The ideal candidate will show experience and interest in organizational development and systems thinking.
- Act as the primary point of contact and administrator for a broad range of requests for legal services. The Project Manager, Legal & Strategic Advocacy will provide intake, review, prioritization, and resolution or elevation of requests for legal services from all NTC departments. The Project Manager, Legal & Strategic Advocacy will maintain the company’s archive of legal contracts and grant templates in collaboration with staff from other departments, address questions related to contract terms and conditions, draft contract amendments and change orders, and translate contractual data into meaningful information for each functional area. Documents received for drafting and review include client contracts, vendor contracts, Memoranda of Understanding, RFP and RFQ proposals, grants, service agreements, confidentiality agreements, vendor agreements (subcontracts, subawards, consultants), and data-sharing agreements, among others. The manager will correspond with awarding agencies, partners, and external stakeholders, coordinating with the Vice President, Legal & Strategic Advocacy to adjust terms and compliance items as needed. Preliminary research on a range of legal, compliance, and risk management issues may be required.
- Provide support to workgroups led by or participated in by the Legal & Strategic Advocacy Department. The Department leads or participates in a range of workgroups focused on issues involving our DEI Initiative, technology, risk management, strategy, and partnership development. The Project Manager, Legal & Strategic Advocacy will provide both logistical and administrative support and thought partnership.
- Provide support to the Department’s work on policy advocacy. Working with the Vice President, Legal & Strategic Advocacy, the Project Manager, Legal & Strategic Advocacy will assist in scanning the field for opportunities, tracking the work of America Forward and proposing possible avenues for NTC involvement, and researching potential policy or legislative avenues. The Project Manager, Legal & Strategic Advocacy will also assist the Vice President, Legal & Strategic Advocacy in supporting communications with external stakeholders to gather advice, input, and possible joint project opportunities (FY21 example: Equity Commission).
- Support NTC’s business partnership development process. Working with the Vice President, Legal & Strategic Advocacy, the Project Manager, Legal & Strategic Advocacy will establish a clear process to identify, research, vet, and reach out to potential partners, including due diligence, policy, and market/niche analysis. In the process, the Project Manager, Legal & Strategic Advocacy will assist in setting agendas, arranging meetings, drafting talking points, and other work as required, serving as a key point of contact for external stakeholders in the partnership process. The ideal candidate will have interest in and aptitude for research projects focused on NTC’s diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI), Whole Child, Social-Emotional Learning, and trauma and resilience work.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Demonstrated commitment to core principles of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Strong computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Apps, SmartSheet, web calendaring, ERP systems (NetSuite a plus), cloud-based systems (SaaS), and other software as needed
- Self-directed, highly motivated, and detail-oriented
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong experience with project management, process improvement
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively across the organization with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to manage peak workloads, multiple projects, and work under tight deadlines
- Ability to maintain a high level of professional confidentiality
- Coursework such as business analytics, technical and human systems redesign, organizational psychology, organizational development preferred
- 2-3 years experience with contract administration
- Experience working with financial information requiring excellent quantitative skills
ADA Requirements/Working Conditions:
- Work normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment
- Limited physical effort required
- Requires some travel
- Requires a valid driver’s license
- Driving, grasping, hearing, reaching, repetitive hand motions, lifting under 50 pounds, pulling, pushing, sitting, standing, talking, typing