D&D Commodities, a business unit of Central Garden and Pet, is a leading company in the bird feeding industry. We are looking to hire a Maintenance Worker to help us keep growing. If you're serious about your next job, D&D is an ideal place to get ahead. Don't hesitate to apply.
Starting Salary: $17 - $22 DOE
The Maintenance Worker is responsible for performing highly diversified duties to install, troubleshoot, repair, and maintain the manufacturing facility and machines in a safe and sanitary work environment.
Measures of Success
- Ensures operation of production machinery and mechanical equipment by troubleshooting, identifying, and completing preventive and routine maintenance on motors, pneumatic tools, hydraulics, conveyor systems, sieves, augers, conveyors, stick machines, gravities, etc.
- Performs changeover and set-up of production machines as well as troubleshoots mechanical and basic electrical systems and makes appropriate repairs to machines.
- Installs equipment within the manufacturing facility.
- Completes work orders to repair machinery.
- Reads and interprets equipment manuals and electrical schematics to perform required maintenance and service.
- Disassembles and installs bearings, motors, gearboxes, and belts.
- Operates motorized, hand tools, and other equipment used in maintaining and repairing facilities, buildings, and grounds.
- Operates a forklift, bobcat, and tractor with a snowblower.
- Fabricates parts by using machine shop equipment.
- Performs emergency repairs on various types of machinery, including mechanical, electric, and hydraulic; identifies and replaces worn or damaged parts in a timely manner.
- Understands and supports company and site safety policies and performs work-related activities in a safe manner. Recognizes unsafe work conditions and behaviors and engages with co-workers to ensure conditions and behaviors comply with policies.
- Keeps area clean, safe, and up to code.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds; ability to sit, stand and /or walk for up to 3 hours at a time in an 8-hour day; ability to frequently grasp, push, pull, bend and climb.
The above-noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned but rather to provide a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of the position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.
- High school diploma or GED preferred.
- 1+ years of proven mechanical experience in a manufacturing facility, or similar relevant experience or knowledge preferred.
- Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner.
- 1+ years of welding and/or fabrication experience preferred.
- High level of mechanical aptitude.
- Basic math and computer skills.
- Knowledge of production and plant processes.
- Attention to detail.
- Meets attendance requirements and is on time.
- Electrical knowledge or experience preferred.
- Able to read, understand, and follow documents such as safety policies and general instructions.
- Able to understand and carry out both oral and written instructions.
- Able to prioritize and manage workload in a changing environment.
- Able to work both independently and on a team.
- Frequently exposed to work near moving mechanical parts, product irritants, airborne particles, and outdoor weather conditions.
- Occasionally required to work in high places and confined spaces.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. But higher levels of noise are marked by signs.
Work Schedule and Compensation:
- First shift: Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Occasional overtime.
- Wage is based on salary expectations, skills, and experience.
- Health insurance (premium mostly paid for by the employer)
- Health Savings Account company contribution
- Long-term and short-term disability insurance (100% employer-paid)
- $50,000 in Basic life insurance (100% employer-paid)
- Dental insurance
- Accident insurance
- Cancer insurance
- 401k retirement plan + company matching
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays
- Paid bereavement leave
About the Company:
D & D Commodities Ltd., a business unit of Central Garden and Pet, is a national company that manufactures the finest premium nutritional products for caged birds, small animals, wild birds, and wildlife. We provide optimum nutrition for all types of pets at prices that offer value to the consumer in the best packaging types and styles available. In addition to the best products, we strive to always provide the best service and support for its customers regardless of size or type.
At Central Garden & Pet (NASDAQ: CENT and CENTA), we believe home is at the center of our lives, and our employees are driven by our purpose to nurture happy and healthy homes. Our company is made up of thousands of people across North America, with an emerging footprint across the U.K., Mexico, China and Canada - all dedicated to helping gardens bloom bigger, pets live healthier and communities grow stronger. We are united by our mission to lead the future of the garden and pet industries…one blade of grass and one wagging tail at a time. Visit our website at www.central.com to learn more.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.