Our Garden Segment is seeking a Horticulture Specialist to work at our Albany, OR location. This position will assist with all local research operations, including lab, greenhouse, and outside field responsibilities.
MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Ability to conduct experiments; assist setting up research grass seed plots, data collection, data entry and trial maintenance
- Assist with the digital image analysis on the data collected and analyzed utilizing basic statistical skills
- Assist with the backend processing of data collection and analysis
- Ensure that proper rates and procedures are followed for chemical applications
- Ensure that all safety processes and procedures are followed
- Maintain timely and accurate records of the chemicals applied
IDEAL CANDIDATE ATTRIBUTES
- Bachelor of Science in Horticulture required, a Masters in Horticulture is a plus
- Current and active Private Pesticide License required; to undertake licensing process within first 6 months of employment if not currently licensed
- Previous experience in daily greenhouse and field crop management – plant care; vegetable, flower, and turf
- Previous laboratory work experience within plant research or similar type research is preferred
- Strong reading skills required to maintain a high level of accuracy in record-keeping, data collection, data entry and analysis; must excel in managing details and able to multi-task
- Ability to bend and lift throughout the course of a normal workday; continuous bending/lifting during greenhouse and outdoor research plot projects and able to lift 50lbs.
- General knowledge of turf grass species is preferred
- Ability to tolerate greenhouse and field work conditions
- Works well with others in teams. Must be responsible, reliable, and dependable in work habits and personal work ethic
- Intermediate level knowledge of Microsoft (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Ability to work weekends as needed
- Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner
At Central Garden & Pet (NASDAQ: CENT and CENTA), we believe home is at the center of our lives, and our employees are driven by our purpose to nurture happy and healthy homes. Our company is made up of thousands of people across North America, with an emerging footprint across the U.K., Mexico, China and Canada - all dedicated to helping gardens bloom bigger, pets live healthier and communities grow stronger. We are united by our mission to lead the future of the garden and pet industries…one blade of grass and one wagging tail at a time. Visit our website at www.central.com to learn more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.