Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We’re looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all experiences, skillsets, backgrounds and walks of life. We actively foster a work environment and culture where inclusion and diversity is part of our fundamental structure. This is delivered behaviorally, through our policies, trainings, local partnerships with professional diverse organizations, internal networks and most importantly with the support and sponsorship of our leaders who help drive our commitment to an inclusive, diverse, welcoming and equitable work environment. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
We are a global leader in environmental consulting - made stronger with the recent acquisition of Golder - with world-class expertise in environmental, social and governance (ESG), climate resiliency & sustainability (CRS), and earth sciences. Combined we have over 14,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change.
As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from across the globe.
WSP is currently initiating a search for a Geologist for our Denver, CO office. The following locations will also be considered: Arvada, CO and Lakewood, CO. Be involved in projects with our Industrial Hygiene/Hazardous Materials and Site Assessment and Remediation, Earth & Environment Teams and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges. The selected candidate will be a regional resource supporting contaminated land investigation, environmental remediation, environmental compliance, and/or mine cleanup/reclamation projects across the western United States and beyond. Typical clients include mining, oil and gas, and commercial/industrial companies and government agencies.
WSP is a premier environmental consulting firm and a solution driven, trusted advisor with outstanding expertise that strives to always be the first choice for clients, partners, and employees. We are looking for qualified candidates to join our team of innovative environmental professionals.
- Under general supervision, perform routine field work in support of geological investigations, environmental compliance, and environmental remediation. This work may include the following general tasks:
- Drilling and/or excavation oversight, geologic logging of soil/rock, monitoring well installation, oversight of well hydraulic tests, preparation, installation, and ongoing monitoring and maintenance of field instrumentation for groundwater and surface water monitoring, soil and sediment sampling, groundwater and surface water sampling and flow measurements, soil gas sampling, coordination with analytical testing laboratories on bottle orders and sample analyses, preparation and operation of equipment in the field, equipment calibration, maintenance and repair, conducting regulatory compliance inspections (e.g., stormwater and SPCC), and other assignments as designated.
- Thorough understanding of geologic concepts and the ability to interpret geologic data.
- Assist with the coordination, oversight, and direction of site investigation activities including various contractors while conducting site investigation and remediation work.
- Ability to interact with members of the public and clients.
- Assist with Industrial Hygiene and Hazardous Materials surveys.
- Collect, extract, identify, and compile environmental data from soil sampling, soil gas sampling, groundwater sampling, stormwater sampling, boring logs, and other matrices for projects, investigations, and surveys.
- Depending on complexity, execute or assist with the execution of environmental site assessments (Phase I and II).
- Research environmental hazmat databases regarding historical property land uses.
- Maintain quality control standards and procedures for accurate and precise data collection.
- Assist project managers with the development and scoping of small- to medium- sized projects including subcontractor selection, contracting and coordination during field investigation activities.
- Assist with the preparation of project plans and technical reports of investigation and remediation activities and provide analysis and interpretations of findings to prevent, control, restore, or clean-up chemical and environmental problems and contamination.
- Assist with preparation of site Health and Safety Plans (HASPs) and demonstrate the ability to implement safe work practices in the field in accordance with the HASP and other applicable regulations.
- Comply with corporate Health and Safety and OSHA requirements.
- Comply with project- and/or site-specific procedures which include but is not limited to, the maintenance of sample collection, trench and boring, laboratory documentation, written procedures, monitoring systems, and logbooks.
- Ability to support field programs with knowledge of proper sampling techniques and documentation of data and findings in a clear, accurate, concise, and organized manner.
- Review, integrate, collect data, and perform quality control for geologic, hydrogeologic, and other databases.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical information to clients, regulators, and colleagues in a professional and responsible manner.
- Gain working knowledge and understanding of federal and state regulations applicable to site investigation and remediation projects.
- Utilize the latest technologies and techniques in performing studies and analysis of the occurrence of organic and inorganic compounds in the environment.
- Prepare or assist with the preparation of project work plans, daily field reports and technical reports, and/or presentations of investigation and remediation activities and provide analysis and interpretations of findings.
- Assist with the tabulation, interpretation, and reporting of field data.
- Work with cross-functional teams including engineers, GIS specialists, and other environmental experts to contribute to larger multidisciplinary projects.
- Complete training on assigned tasks.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs
- Prepare data and visualizations such as mineral charts, soil analyses, groundwater modeling, maps geologic cross-sections, and other illustrations.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Geology, Hydrogeology, or closely related discipline.
- 3 to 5 years of experience working as a Geologist.
- Excellent research skills with analytical mindset and experience with geological research techniques required.
- Must be able to pass a HAZWOPER physical and be medically able to wear a tight-fitting respirator.
- Knowledge of the concepts of reducing and eliminating the use or generation of hazardous substances, processes, or products.
- Knowledge of relevant environmental laws, regulations, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements.
- Capable interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to a scientific and non-scientific audience.
- Proficient self-leadership with attention to detail, results orientation, and managing multiple priorities in a dynamic work environment.
- This role is subject to a client mandated drug/alcohol testing policy. As such, employee may be subject to random drug/alcohol tests. A copy of the client mandated drug/alcohol testing policy will be provided during employee onboarding and is available upon applicant request.
- Must successfully complete and pass WSP’s Motor Vehicle screening.
- Ability to work independently under general supervision, as well as part of a team to meet business objectives.
- Proficient in technical writing, common business software (e.g., Microsoft Office suite), technology, and tools.
- Willingness and ability to uphold workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules that meet project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required. Willing and able to travel both locally and internationally. Assignments may include travel to remote locations and outdoor work in various climates.
- Candidates must have excellent and demonstrated verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong commitment to quality and timely delivery of services.
- Strong interpersonal, team building, and critical thinking skills are essential.
- Ability to coordinate with agency regulators and understand requirements.
- Experience sampling soil and groundwater via drilling including direct-push, hollow-stem auger, and other similar drilling methods.
- Experience with evaluation of vapor intrusion and sampling soil gas per EPA guidelines.
- Experience installing groundwater monitoring wells, remediation wells, and/or soil gas wells.
- Experience writing groundwater monitoring reports and well installation reports.
- Ability to learn new techniques, perform multiple tasks simultaneously, follow instruction, work independently, and comply with company policies.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to reach conclusions from testing results, data collation, and identify the most cost-effective responses that will minimize waste, prevent pollution, and conserve resources.
- Master’s Degree is preferred.
- Previous work experience at environmental remediation sites in the western US and/or mine cleanup sites would be considered an asset.
- A member of, and/or active participation in, a local professional practice organization(s).
- Colorado Certified Asbestos Building Inspector (CABI).
- Colorado Asbestos Project Designer certification.
- OSHA 40 Hour HAZWOPER Training
- OSHA 8 Hour HAZWOPER Refresher Training
- Experience working on Industrial Hygiene projects.
- Basic First Aid and Adult CPR training desired.
Compensation and Benefits:
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career. Expected Salary: $61,000 – 114,300
WSP USA is providing the compensation range and general description of other compensation and benefits that the company in good faith believes it might pay and/or offer for this position based on the successful applicant’s education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities in addition to internal equity and geographic location. WSP USA reserves the right to ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and offer additional benefits and other compensation, depending on circumstances not related to an applicant’s sex or other status protected by local, state, or federal law.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Travel Required: 40%
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: ARVADA - W 60TH AVE
- All locations: US-CO-Arvada, US-CO-Denver, US-CO-Lakewood
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 12,000 employees in over 200 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a flexible, agile and hybrid workplace model while meeting client needs. Employees are also afforded a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.