Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We’re looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all backgrounds. That’s why here at WSP, inclusion, diversity, equity and belonging are core principles. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
WSP is currently initiating a search for a Lead Water Resources Engineer for our Portland, Oregon or Vancouver, Washington offices. Be involved in projects with our Northwest Pacific Water Resources Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client's objectives and solves their challenges.
Provides high level technical assistance and guidance multi-site/phase water resources engineering work processes, due diligence, investigation, remediation, impact assessment, and environmental permitting projects. Tasks may include the design and development of processes, infrastructure, and operating strategies related to water supply, stormwater facilities, irrigation facilities, culverts, hydrology, open channel hydraulics, bridge hydraulics, floodplain modeling/mapping, hydrologic/hydraulic modeling, river/stream/habitat restoration and fish passage, pollution control and treatment, and preserving the quality of the environment by averting the contamination and degradation of water resources. Substantiates reports and documentation to advise on field conditions, movement, and outcome of overall risks to ecological and human health. Assists project leadership with environmental site assessment, corrective strategies, classification of contaminated materials, development of process and infrastructure, and with recommendations to avert degradation of water resources. Ensures that responsibilities are delivered and adhered to with a level of quality that meets or exceeds acceptable industry standards.
- Brings deep technical knowledge and understanding of water resource management strategies and solutions.
- Has technical experience hydraulics and hydrology, stormwater management, culverts, drainage.
- Lead and coordinate design teams.
- Manage projects, including developing scopes, fees, and schedules.
- Manage design tasks and identify changes and risks.
- Prepare design plans, cost estimates and special provisions.
- Engage with clients to understand and support project delivery process and decision-making.
- Develop memorandums and other written technical documents.
- Perform complex design tasks and drawings using computer-aided design (CADD) related to the development of transportation and stormwater projects in AutoCADD Civil 3d and/or MicroStation Inroads and/or Openroads. May have experience in HEC_RAS, SWMM, HFPS, Civil 3D, CivilStorm, StormCAD, MGSFlood, FHWA HY-8, and/or SRH2D.
- Prepare civil project deliverables, including Plans, Specifications & Estimates (PS&E) documents, engineering reports, project memorandums, and others as required.
- Perform specialized assignments which call for an application of professional expertise.
- Provide QA/QC on deliverables.
- Plan, schedule, coordinate and oversee the work of lower-level engineers.
- Supervise staff as needed.
- Perform site work as required.
- And other duties as assigned.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering, with a focus in Water Resources or closely related discipline.
- 7 to 10 years of relevant post education experience in water resources engineering.
- Professional Engineer license required.
- Proficient knowledge of water resource engineering principles, practices, process, design/build, and the application to environmental permitting and project work-related issues.
- Well-defined knowledge with Stormwater Management, Drainage, Erosion and Sediment Control, Hydrology & Hydraulics Design, Watershed Studies, Floodplain Delineation, etc.
- Proficient ability to coordinate with agency regulators and understand requirements.
- Well-defined knowledge with the concepts of reducing and eliminating the use or generation of hazardous substances, processes, or products., and mitigation programs.
- Well-defined specific knowledge of relevant environmental laws, regulations, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements.
- Well-developed ability to make technical computations and calculations involving the application of engineering principles, understanding plans and specifications and making factual comparisons to the appropriate regulations.
- Highly effective interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to an engineering and non-engineering audience.
- Highly proficient with technical writing, office automation, software, technology, math principles, predictive models, spreadsheets, and tools.
- Adept at coordinating technical matters with public and private groups.
- Proficient understanding of and well-defined experience with surface water analysis, hydrologic methodologies/models (TR-55, HEC-HMS, etc.), hydraulic models (HEC-RAS, HEC-RAS-2D, HEC-GeoRAS, SRH-2D, etc.), and with ESRI ArcGIS software.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Advanced degree in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, or related field.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, MicroStation, Civil3D and/or Hydraulic and Hydrologic Software Tools.
- Experience with project management and/or Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
- Experience working with state and local agencies.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Travel Required: N/A - No travel required
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: PORTLAND - SW 6TH AVE
- All locations: US-OR-Portland, US-WA-Vancouver
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 12,000 employees in over 200 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a flexible, agile and hybrid workplace model while meeting client needs. Employees are also afforded a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.