Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We’re looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all backgrounds. That’s why here at WSP, inclusion, diversity, equity and belonging are core principles. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
As a world-wide leader of transportation consulting and planning services, we invite you to be a part of this future. Our Transportation Planning group in Portland, Oregon is looking for a full-time Senior Transportation Planner to join our team and support and grow our diverse range of transportation planning services. Our current projects include congestion pricing, multi-modal transportation and high capacity transit planning, new mobility, and major infrastructure modernization. This position has the capacity for initial remote work with expectation to relocate to Portland.
The Senior Transportation Planner will provide a variety of professional transportation planning services that may include identifying and analyzing information to inform and create plans for the safe movement of people and products by all modes of transport. They will provide support and guidance for multimodal planning projects, alternatives analysis, statewide, regional and local plans, public involvement and communications, and regulatory compliance for a variety of client projects. These projects may include equitable transportation development, transportation demand management, high capacity transit analysis, long range mobility planning, multimodal access, surface transportation, and grant and funding opportunities. The ideal candidate will consider and incorporate into their work long-term risks and future ready solutions. They will provide deliverable and task leadership, ensuring that responsibilities are delivered and adhered to with a level of quality that meets or exceeds acceptable client and industry standards.
It is widely stated—and supported by studies—that candidates, especially women, are less likely to apply for a job unless they believe they meet 100% of the hiring criteria. WSP's talent acquisition goals include hiring the candidate who is best able to meet the performance objectives of the role. We therefore encourage persons with non-traditional skill sets and experiences to apply, even if you believe you do not meet 100% of the qualifications and hiring criteria described.
- Serve as task lead or lead planner and collaborate with professionals from a variety of disciplines to provide future ready solutions for clients.
- Contribute to cross-functional teams in executing project work, including monitoring task budgets, tracking hours, and task completion.
- Perform professional transportation planning work and conduct investigations, inspections, studies, and surveys to gain further information on a particular problem or issue, verify site characteristics, and/or to plan for future needs affecting equitable development, construction, transportation demand management, mobility planning, and multimodal access.
- Contribute to, prepare and/or complete general plan elements, specific/master plans, community plans, zoning codes, comprehensive plans, permitting policies and/or development standards for assigned projects, with a particular emphasis on transportation and multimodal accommodation.
- Coordinate, contribute to and/or prepare data and visualizations such as maps, diagrams, tables, charts, reports, models, infographics, cross-sections, and 3D illustrations for the interpretation or presentation of more complex data, findings, or analyses.
- Prepare, coordinate, and/or facilitate public involvement and consensus-building meetings in support of client project work, answer public questions on behalf of the client, and represent and present on behalf clients in meeting with local and regional agencies.
- Prepare drafts of technical memos, meeting minutes, transmittals, presentations, and other written materials summarizing research with findings and conclusions.
- Coordinate with clients, resource/regulatory agencies, subcontractors, and technical staff in a confident and professional manner.
- Coordinate with project managers, task managers, project team technical leads, subconsultants, and other disciplines such as planning, engineering, sustainability and traffic team members.
- Support client relationships and contribute to business development activities, including proposal writing.
- Mentor staff and review the work of staff.
- Manage time and effort effectively on multiple projects.
- Remain current in latest transportation planning subject matter, practices, regulations, and techniques.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Planning, Urban Planning, Geography, Environmental Science, Engineering, or a related field (or equivalent experience.)
- 5-7 years of experience working in the transportation planning field.
- Proficient analytical skills and prior experience with research techniques.
- Expertise with relevant environmental and transportation laws, permitting requirements, notification and compliance practices, and applicable Regional/State/Federal regulatory framework.
- Proven experience overseeing and managing multidisciplinary transportation projects of small- and large-scale.
- Experience preparing and reviewing transportation planning technical reports.
- Experience coordinating with clients, partner agencies, and technical staff.
- Proficient self-leadership and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to effectively, persuasively, and tactfully interact with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work independently and provide guidance to junior team or project members, with strict adherence to QA/QC.
- Proficiency with technical writing, office scheduling and communication software, technology, and tools.
- Developed critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to reach conclusions from testing results, data collation, and ability to identify effective solutions to accomplish project objectives.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may occasionally extend beyond the typical work week.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Experience developing and/or applying equity-focused policies, analysis, and recommendations.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent experience in transportation planning or a related field is preferred.
- Essential professional licensure/certification (e.g. AICP).
- Active member of local, regional, or national professional organization.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Travel Required: N/A - No travel required
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: PORTLAND - SW 6TH AVE
- All locations: US-NY-New York
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 12,000 employees in over 200 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a flexible, agile and hybrid workplace model while meeting client needs. Employees are also afforded a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.