Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We’re looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all backgrounds. That’s why here at WSP, inclusion, diversity, equity and belonging are core principles. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
WSP is currently initiating a search for a Civil Roadway Engineer for our Richmond, VA office. Be involved in projects with our Civil Engineering Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges.
This opportunity offers a hybrid workplace model, designed to offer our staff greater flexibility, along with opportunities for career growth, advancement, and mentoring. Join us in doing purposeful, sustainable work that helps shape our communities and the future!
- Perform professional civil engineering work, develop design criteria, and assist with research and inspections of proposed and existing site conditions, infrastructure, and transportation channels to achieve overall project objectives.
- Provide technical assistance on various engineering, design, and construction issues.
- Support analysis, plans production and other technical activities for various state and local government agencies and private clients.
- Work with our design/build teams and coordinate with other design disciplines in Virginia and throughout the Southeast region to deliver successful projects for our clients.
- Contribute to the preparation of technical reports and presentations that explain research and findings or address design and/or construction issues or problems.
- Prepare plans, specifications, and bid packages, and ensure that specifications, reports and analyses meet scope, schedule, cost and quality requirements.
- Attend and participate in project team meetings, collaborate with staff-level engineers, and provide guidance to entry-level engineers.
- Interface with clients and support business development initiatives.
- Conduct engineering studies and surveys to gain further information on a particular design and construction problem or issue and/or to plan for future needs.
- Assist in the analysis, evaluation, and interpretation of data obtained during field investigations.
- Work collaboratively with other engineers and planners on projects with infrastructure authorities on federal, state, regional, and locally funded improvement and development projects.
- Remain current in latest civil engineering techniques and practices.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or closely related discipline.
- 3 to 5 years of relevant post education experience in civil design and plan production for transportation and infrastructure projects.
- Engineer in Training Certification or ability to obtain within 6 months.
- Understanding of and familiarity with AASHTO and VDOT Design Guidelines and Standards.
- Proficiency in software design packages including GEOPAK, MicroStation, Open Roads Designer (ORD), and similar design software programs.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to express ideas effectively and professionally to an engineering and non-engineering audience.
- Knowledge of civil engineering principles, practices, process, design/build, and the application to permitting and project work-related issues.
- Knowledge of relevant civil construction laws, codes, regulations, and compliance practices.
- Effective self-leadership with attention to detail and ability to manage multiple priorities in a dynamic work environment.
- Moderate proficiency with technical writing, office automation, software, spreadsheets, and tools.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to apply technical knowledge to reach conclusions and logical solutions.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Master’s Degree in Engineering.
- Professional Engineer license.
- Experience with design/build projects.
- Experience with VDOT projects.
- Affiliation with professional societies.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Travel Required: 10%
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: RICHMOND - BOULDERS PKWY - 503
- All locations: US-VA-Richmond
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 12,000 employees in over 200 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States. #LI-HYBRID