Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We’re looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all backgrounds. That’s why here at WSP, inclusion, diversity, equity and belonging are core principles. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
Be involved in projects with our Traffic and ITS Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges. At WSP, we are driven by inspiring the right people to be part of our future-focused business objectives. We are looking for motivated engineers and designers interested in Traffic Engineering and ITS Planning and Design to support our client’s growing needs – talent is the essence of meeting our client’s needs. We want to continue to build our team with people willing to solve problems, expand solutions, and challenge the status quo. As our industry needs grow, our team has the potential to grow and support our communities and agencies in new ways. Our devotion to teamwork has allowed us to build communities and expand our skylines. Here at WSP, anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
WSP is actively searching for a Traffic Engineer in our Chicago, IL, Indianapolis, IN, Detroit, MI, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, OH offices.
- Coordinate and help both the traffic engineers and ITS engineers as needed to identify career growth and interests.
- Under general supervision, assist with collecting, compiling, and analyzing data from the physical work site, surveys, blueprints, GIS data, maps, technical data, and other matrices for project development, design, and construction.
- Ability to utilize engineering manuals and standards and guidelines
- Assist with performing basic professional traffic engineering work relating to conducting investigations and inspections of proposed and existing site conditions, roadways, intersections, signage, signals, pavement markings, and transportation corridors to determine conformance with applicable rules, standards, and construction or operating permits.
- Provide entry-level technical assistance on various design requirements, operating strategies to account for the safety and functionality of end-users, and transportation vehicles/systems.
- Assist with verifying the characteristics of a site and providing basic technical assistance on traffic engineering studies, capacity analyses, traffic complaint investigation, traffic plan review, signal system design, monitoring and control, and operations analysis to ensure roadways are designed in a safe and efficient way.
- Develop ITS and traffic signal construction plans in Microstation and Visio
- Assist with conducting traffic counts for roadways and intersections to determine the volume of traffic, where the traffic is going to and from, and the type of traffic on the roadway.
- Prepare data and visualizations such as tables, charts, accurate reports, and illustrations for the interpretation or presentation of data, findings, or analyses.
- Learn how to help with maintenance of traffic plans and transportation management plans.
- Generate complete, accurate, and concise documentation using electronic systems and field/work site notebook/logs.
- Comply with safety guidelines and site-specific procedures which include but are not limited to, location data, statistical documentation, engineering studies and surveys, and construction.
- Complete training on assigned tasks.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, or closely related discipline.
- 0 to 1 years of relevant post education experience
- Excellent research skills with analytical mindset.
- Familiarity with relevant roadway transportation and construction laws, codes, regulations, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements.
- Competent interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to an engineering and non-engineering audience.
- Proficient self-leadership with attention to detail, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work independently under general supervision, as well as part of a team to meet business objectives.
- Basic proficiency with technical writing, office automation, software, spreadsheets, technology, and tools.
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, Microstation, and other applicable design software packages.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Engineer in Training Certification.
- Prior internship related to the degree of study and the specific engineering discipline.
- A member of and/or actively participate in local professional practice organizations.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Required Education: Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent Experience
- Minimum Years Experience: 0-1 years
- Travel Required: N/A - No travel required
- Job Status: New Graduate
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: DETROIT - GRISWOLD ST
- All locations: US-IL-Chicago, US-IN-Indianapolis, US-MI-Detroit, US-OH-Cincinnati, US-OH-Cleveland, US-OH-Columbus
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 12,000 employees in over 200 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.