Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We’re looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all backgrounds. That’s why here at WSP, inclusion, diversity, equity and belonging are core principles. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
WSP is currently initiating a search for an Associate Transportation Planner for our San Francisco, CA office.
Supports planning efforts to inform and create plans for the safe movement of people by all modes of transport, to optimize logistics / scheduling / systems, and to account for the economic, social, and environmental impact of projects and initiatives. Tasks include providing support and guidance to project leadership for multi-site/phase or multi-modal planning projects, the preparation of general plans, specific/master plans, corridor studies, station area planning, and public involvement, for a variety of client projects relating to equitable transportation development, transportation demand management, mobility planning, multimodal access, surface transportation, and funding. Generates accurate and concise documentation by applying and integrating transportation, environmental and regional planning. Ensures that responsibilities are delivered and adhered to with a level of quality that meets or exceeds acceptable industry standards.
- Assist with collecting, identifying, and compiling observational, spatial, operations, and environmental data from multiple matrices for projects, research, and surveys.
- Use topographic maps, aerial photographs, GPS data, and other visualization tools to determine exact locations of project areas, site impact, and associated physical, urban, population, economic, and political sensitivities.
- Under general supervision, assist with preparing general plans, specific/master plans, zoning codes, permitting policies and/or development standards for assigned projects, with a particular emphasis on transportation and multimodal accommodation.
- Maintain quality control standards and procedures for accurate and precise measurements, demographics, patterns and trends, statistical analysis, and reporting.
- Perform basic professional transportation planning work to gain further information on a particular problem or issue, verify site characteristics, and/or to assist with planning for future needs affecting equitable development, construction, transportation demand management, mobility planning, and multimodal access.
- Assist with preparing data and visualizations such as tables, charts, accurate reports, models, infographics, and 3D illustrations for the interpretation or presentation of data, findings, or analyses.
- Contribute to the preparation of technical reports summarizing research with findings and conclusions, generating complete, accurate, and concise documentation of technical memos, meeting minutes, transmittals, presentations, and other written materials.
- Assist technical staff and project managers with the analysis, evaluation, and interpretation of facts and data obtained during field and site investigations, offering input with developing action plans to minimize impacts to the community, population, local economy, and environment.
- Work with cross-functional teams in executing project work.
- Assist with work plan preparation and coordination of field work.
- Complete training on assigned tasks.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Transportation Planning, or a related field (or equivalent experience.)
- 1 to 3 years of experience working in the transportation planning field, actively engaging in general plans, specific/master plans, zoning code updates, public involvement, and regulatory compliance for a variety of client projects relating to equitable transportation development and construction, transportation demand management, mobility planning, multimodal access, surface transportation, and funding.
- Familiar with the transportation project development cycle, including from planning to implementation.
- Moderate experience reviewing surface transportation projects and program cost estimates and assessing project readiness for inclusion in the strategic local/regional Transportation Plan.
- Capable analytical skills, and experience with research techniques, local/regional geography, transportation networks, systems, and modalities.
- Highly familiar with relevant approval processes, zoning laws, permitting requirements, notification and compliance practices, and applicable Regional/State/Federal regulatory framework.
- Competent interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to a technical and non-technical audience.
- Competent self-leadership with attention to detail, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as part of a team to meet business objectives.
- Experience with discipline-specific software (i.e., CAD, ArcGIS, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch-Up).
- Basic proficiency with business writing, office automation and communication software, technology, and tools.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- A member of and/or actively participate in local professional practice organizations.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Required Education: Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent Experience
- Minimum Years Experience: 1-3 years
- Travel Required: N/A - No travel required
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: SAN FRANCISCO - MARKET ST
- All locations: US-CA-San Francisco
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 12,000 employees in over 200 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.