Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We’re looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all backgrounds. That’s why here at WSP, inclusion, diversity, equity and belonging are core principles. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
WSP is currently initiating a search for an Environmental Scientist/Compliance Professional for our San Jose, CA office. The following location will also be considered: Los Angeles, CA. Be involved in projects with our Earth & Environment Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges.
- Work independently or as a part of a team to conduct Phase I environmental site assessments of industrial, transportation and infrastructure, and commercial facilities in accordance with ASTM-1527-13.
- Evaluate industrial, transportation and infrastructure, and commercial facilities for compliance with federal, state, and local environmental regulations. Evaluate findings, make recommendations, and prepare written and verbal reports.
- Assist clients with preparation and implementation of environmental programs, procedures, and management systems to ensure compliance and drive continual improvement.
- Provide support to WSP geology and engineering staff in maintaining compliance with regulatory requirements for investigation and remediation projects, including assisting field staff with investigation-derived waste characterization.
- Record, evaluate and interpret data, prepare reports and work plans, and provide analysis and interpretations of findings
- Possess project management skills including managing medium size project budgets, writing proposals, and managing field teams
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science or related discipline
- Minimum of 1-3 years relevant experience
- Must be able to pass a HAZWOPER physical and be medically able to wear a tight-fitting respirator.
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills with clients, management, regulatory authorities and contractors
- Basic knowledge of environmental laws and regulations for California and Federal such as CERCLA, RCRA, SARA, CWA and NEPA
Field work experience in civil/environmental engineering/geology
- Flexibility to travel via land and air to locations in the United States and work overtime when necessary with periodic extended field assignments, up to 50% of the time
- Computer use and applications skills required, including MS Word, MS Excel, and Adobe Acrobat
- Certifications desired: OSHA 40 Hour HAZWOPER Training, OSHA 8 Hour HAZWOPER Refresher Training, DOT Training, CPR and First Aid Training, and other related environmental certifications, California QSD/QSP certification
- Familiarity with CEQA and NEPA
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Required Education: Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent Experience
- Minimum Years Experience: 1-3 years
- Travel Required: 50%
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: SAN JOSE - GATEWAY PL
- All locations: US-CA-Los Angeles, US-CA-San Jose
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 12,000 employees in over 200 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.