Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We’re looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all backgrounds. That’s why here at WSP, inclusion, diversity, equity and belonging are core principles. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
WSP is currently initiating a search for a Senior Pipeline Engineer for our Walnut Creek, CA office. The following locations will also be considered: Houston, TX, Tampa, FL and Pittsburgh, PA. Be involved in projects with our Earth & Environment Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges.
The candidate in this role will work with engineering team members across the world to deliver pipeline solutions to clients in the mining, oil & gas, and water sectors. We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated individual with the drive to excel and thrive in an engaged, collaborative environment.
- Safely perform work, both in the field and office, and operate vehicles on behalf of the company.
- Work closely with multidiscipline engineering staff in the design of pipelines systems across pipeline lifecycle including planning, feasibility studies (FEED) and route selection, permitting, detail design, procurement, construction, and deactivation/demolition.
- Provide engineering support to pipeline routing studies, hydraulic analysis, stress analysis, and process & mechanical detailed engineering design of liquid, gas, and slurry pipeline systems, including DOT regulated pipelines and terminal/station pumping & piping.
- Participate in field/site walks, coordinate field investigation work for surveys, utility investigations, environmental delineations, geotechnical investigations, hydrologic assessment etc. in support of the pipeline design effort.
- Coordinate engineering and survey services in support of right of way acquisition needs on pipeline projects.
- Prepare project funding documents such as cost estimates, equipment bid summaries and authorization requests.
- Supervise engineering and field construction support services and troubleshooting with direct client interface in collaboration with project team.
- Support development of permit application packages associated with pipeline projects.
- Successfully manage project delivery in accordance with company procedures and quality management plans.
- Prepare and/or review documents including technical reports, workplans, cost estimates, design/drawing packages, calculations, and other client correspondence.
- Interact with clients, including preparation for and participation in meetings, preparation of progress reports, proposals, and other correspondence, maintaining responsive and positive client relationships.
- Participate in recruiting and development of new staff in collaboration with senior colleagues.
- Provide technical direction and oversight as well as mentoring and training to junior-level staff.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Chemical, or Civil Engineering, from an ABET accredited institution.
- 7+ years pipeline design either consulting experience or pipeline operating company experience.
- EIT registration; PE registration a plus.
- Strong verbal communication, writing, analytical, and organizational skills combined with a positive attitude and an ability to work both independently and within groups, including with contractors and cross-discipline in-house designers.
- Understanding of the importance of health & safety as a top priority and an enthusiasm to participate in WSP/Golder’s associated programs.
- Knowledge of liquids and gas design codes and regulations including 49 CFR Part 192 and 195, ASME B31.4 ASME B31.8, AWWA M11, etc.
- Knowledge of static/transient analysis, equipment sizing, pipe stress analysis, trenchless crossing techniques, and cost estimating.
- Knowledge of pipeline integrity management, ILI data interpretation, and various stress/strain-based assessment methods.
- Familiar with common pipeline engineering software such as Pipeline Toolbox, AutoPIPE/CAESAR II, PipeFLO, and AFT Impulse.
- Familiar with design software such as AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Plant 3D, and/or CADWorks is a plus.
- Detail-oriented, highly organized with solid time management abilities.
- Strong interpersonal skills combined with a positive, team-oriented attitude and understanding of client service.
- High level of personal integrity with a strong work ethic.
- Willingness to travel (up to 25%) as dictated by project demands.
- Experience providing services and delivering projects as a consultant, working for clients with regional or national assets with substantial health and safety requirements.
- Project management experience or certifications will be considered an asset.
- Familiarity with Business Development and Marketing of consulting services within the pipeline industry is a plus.
- Understanding of Pipeline Hazardous Materials and Safety Administration requirements.
- Familiar with Microsoft Project or Primavera P6 scheduling is a plus.
- Good problem solver with ability to identify alternative solutions.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Successful applicant must be able to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 prior to their start date or prior to December 8, 2021, whichever is later, or be granted an exemption based on a disability or sincerely held religious belief. If you cannot receive the vaccine because of a disability or a sincerely-held religious belief, you may submit an accommodation request to WSP’s Equal Employment Opportunity Office. Learn more about the COVID-19 vaccination here - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/index.html.
- Required Education: Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent Experience
- Minimum Years Experience: 7-10 years
- Travel Required: 20%
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: WALNUT CREEK - OAK ROAD
- All locations: US-CA-Walnut Creek, US-FL-Tampa, US-PA-Pittsburgh, US-TX-Houston
About WSP USA
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 12,000 employees in over 200 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.