Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We’re looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all backgrounds. That’s why here at WSP, inclusion, diversity, equity and belonging are core principles. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
Be involved in projects with our Transportation Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client's objectives and solves their challenges.
WSP is currently initiating a search for a full-time Civil Engineer for our Lincoln office. This position is best suited for an engineer who is seeking an opportunity to work within a team-focused local office, for a large world-wide engineering firm. Career development, mentoring and employee satisfaction is key within our local civil group and the firm.
- Collect, compile, and analyze data from the physical work site, surveys, blueprints, and other matrices for project development, design, and construction.
- Perform design tasks under the direction of senior engineers, including geometric design, drainage, grading, and work zone traffic control
- Perform professional civil engineering work and assist with conducting research and inspections of proposed and existing site conditions, resources, building, infrastructure, and transportation channels to determine conformance with applicable rules, standards, and construction or operating permits.
- Participate in incorporating advanced modeling techniques, concept development, design requirements, and operating strategies to account for the safety and functionality of end-users, transportation vehicles/systems, and incorporate future-ready solutions with civil engineering design standards.
- Work as an individual or as part of a cross-functional team of engineers, planners, and scientific professionals to execute project work, assist with laying out installations, establishing reference points/elevations/grades to guide construction, calculating costs and quantities of material/equipment/labor, and ensuring project work conforms with specifications, permit applications, compliance documentation, and regulatory and technical analysis memos.
- Verify the characteristics of a site, providing technical assistance on various engineering, design, and construction issues.
- Research databases regarding historical property land uses.
- Prepare data and visualizations such as tables, charts, accurate reports, sketches, calculations, and illustrations for the interpretation or presentation of data, findings, or analyses.
- Maintain quality control standards and procedures for accurate and precise measurements, statistical analysis, and reporting.
- Assist with development and scoping of small- to medium-sized projects.
- Contribute to the preparation of technical reports and presentations that explain research and findings to improve, prevent, control, restore, or address design and/or construction issues or problems.
- Conduct engineering studies and surveys to gain further information on a particular design and construction problem or issue and/or to plan for future needs.
- Assist in the analysis, evaluation, and interpretation of data obtained during field investigations, offering input with developing action plans for low to mid-level risk mitigation activities.
- Work collaboratively with other engineers and planners on projects with infrastructure authorities on Federal, State, regional, and locally funded improvement and development projects.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, or closely related discipline.
- 3 to 5 years of relevant post education experience in engineering discipline and prior civil design experience.
- Engineer in Training Certification.
- Knowledge of civil engineering principles, practices, process, design/build, and the application to permitting and project work-related issues.
- Experience with infrastructure planning, design, and construction management; including rehabilitation and new design.
- Ability to coordinate with agency regulators and understand requirements.
- Knowledge with process and concepts for reducing and eliminating the use or generation of hazardous substances/greenhouse gas.
- Knowledge of relevant civil construction laws, codes, regulations, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements.
- Capable interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to an engineering and non-engineering audience.
- Effective self-leadership with attention to detail, results orientation, and managing multiple priorities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to learn new techniques, perform multiple tasks simultaneously, follow instruction, work independently, and comply with company policies.
- Moderate proficiency with technical writing, office automation, software, technology, math principles, predictive models, spreadsheets, and tools.
- Experience with discipline-specific design software (i.e. AutoCAD, Civil 3D)
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to apply technical knowledge to reach conclusions from testing results, data collation, statistical analysis and arriving at the most effective, economical, and logical solution.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Master’s Degree in Engineering.
- Essential Professional Licensure/Certification
- Experience working with NDOT, City of Lincoln and other local agencies
- Hands-on experience with Microstation or Autocad platforms including working knowledge of OpenRoads or Civil3D software
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Successful applicant must be able to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 prior to their start date or prior to December 8, 2021, whichever is later, or be granted an exemption based on a disability or sincerely held religious belief. If you cannot receive the vaccine because of a disability or a sincerely-held religious belief, you may submit an accommodation request to WSP’s Equal Employment Opportunity Office. Learn more about the COVID-19 vaccination here - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/index.html.
- Required Education: Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent Experience
- Minimum Years Experience: 3-5 years
- Travel Required: N/A - No travel required
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: LINCOLN - O ST
- All locations: US-NE-Lincoln
About WSP USA
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 12,000 employees in over 200 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.