Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We’re looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all backgrounds. That’s why here at WSP, inclusion, diversity, equity and belonging are core principles. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
WSP, an award winning and innovative multi-disciplinary engineering consulting firm, has an opening for Lead Mechanical Engineer in our San Francisco, California office. WSP works closely with architects and owners from around the world on large, complex projects in multiple market sectors.
Provides high level technical assistance and guidance for multi-site/phase due diligence, design, development, building, testing, and inspecting of mechanical systems on infrastructure, building, and construction projects in the public and private sector. Responsibilities include the research, design, concept development, planning, installation, operation, maintenance, and optimal integration of automatic temperature control, air distribution, hydronic, and plumbing systems, equipment and processes. Substantiates reports, documentation, and decisions regarding installation, materials, construction, and operation specifications. Ensures that responsibilities are delivered and adhered to with a level of quality that meets or exceeds acceptable industry standards for design, safety, and functionality.
- Our Engineers work on high quality, high-profile, national and international projects. You will actively participate in the full project cycle, from the design phase through the final construction close-out. In addition, you will assist in the management of the technical team and operations of the office.
- Manage multiple HVAC design projects of various scale through concept, SD, DD and the CA phases; project types include, healthcare, science & technology, and institutional projects.
- Be the main point of contact for our clients and capable of representing the team at project meetings.
- Organize in-house resources.
- Train and mentor junior staff.
- Assist with marketing / proposal efforts and proposal presentations.
- Responsible for the management of project finances.
- Prepares project budgets, monitors compliance with time/schedule deadlines.
- Plans and obtains additional work authorizations a required for scope changes.
- Accountable for the profitability of the projects managed.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, or closely related discipline.
- 7 to 10 years of relevant post education experience in engineering discipline and prior mechanical design experience.
- Engineer license required.
- Proficient with mechanical engineering principles, practices, process, design/build, and the application to project work-related issues.
- Extensive knowledge of building design.
- Experience with building planning, design, and construction management; including active involvement in a variety of rehabilitation, new design, and construction projects.
- Well-developed ability to make technical computations and calculations involving the application of engineering principles, understanding plans and specifications, and making factual comparisons to the appropriate regulations.
- Highly effective interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to an engineering and non-engineering audience.
- Demonstrated high-level of self-leadership with attention to detail, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities in a dynamic work environment.
- Works independently with minimal oversight and provides guidance and leadership to junior team or project members, with strict adherence to QA/QC.
- Highly proficient with technical writing, office automation, load calculations, discipline-specific design software (i.e., AutoCAD, CAM), technology, math principles, predictive models, spreadsheets, and tools.
- Well-developed critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to apply technical knowledge to reach conclusions from testing results, data collation, load calculations, computations, statistical analysis and arriving at the most effective, economical, and logical solution.
- Demonstrated effectiveness at coordinating and assertively directing subcontractors and others to consistently complete tasks safely and efficiently.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Master’s Degree in Engineering.
- LEED certification.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Required Education: Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent Experience
- Minimum Years Experience: 7-10 years
- Travel Required: 25%
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: SAN FRANCISCO - MARKET ST
- All locations: US-CA-San Francisco
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 12,000 employees in over 200 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.