Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We’re looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all backgrounds. That’s why here at WSP, inclusion, diversity, equity and belonging are core principles. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
WSP is currently initiating a search for a Civil Engineer reporting to our Baltimore, MD office. This position is to provide ongoing project design support on various projects for transportation agencies in the Baltimore Metropolitan area. Be involved in projects with our Transportation Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges.
- Perform standard engineering design techniques and procedures for small projects or selected segments of a larger projects under limited supervision.
- Develop design criteria and perform design duties using applicable design software packages.
- Review drawings to assure compliance with specifications.
- Prepare technical reports, sketches and perform calculations for a detailed segment of projects.
- Assist with analyzing data, preparing plans, specifications, cost estimates, and bid packages.
- Ensure that production of specifications, reports and analyses meet scope, schedule, cost and quality requirements.
- Discuss and propose solutions with project teams and coordinate with other disciples to solve technical issues.
- Support proposal and business development on a variety of projects.
- Interface with clients and contractors as needed.
- Conducting research and inspections of proposed and existing site conditions to determine conformance with applicable rules, standards, and construction or operating permits.
- Write technical reports summarizing research with findings and conclusions, generating complete, accurate, and concise documentation using sketches, calculations, electronic systems, spreadsheets, and software.
- Assist technical staff and project managers with risk identification and assessment, offering input and analysis with design concepts, construction, mitigation and improvement activities, and remediation projects.
- Work with cross-functional teams in executing project work.
- Complete training on assigned tasks.
- Work collaboratively with other engineers and planners on projects with infrastructure authorities on Federal, State, regional, and locally funded improvement and development projects.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civiul Engineering or a closely related discipline.
- 1 to 3 years of relevant post education experience.
- Engineer in Training certification or ability to obtain within 6 months.
- Experience with discipline-specific design software including MicroStation and AutoCAD.
- Knowledge of civil engineering principles, practices, process, design/build, and the application to permitting and project work-related issues.
- Familiar with relevant civil construction laws, codes, regulations, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements.
- Analytical mindset with an ability to exercise sound judgement in evaluating situations and making decisions.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to an engineering and non-engineering audience.
- Capable self-leadership with attention to detail, accuracy, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as part of a team to meet business objectives.
- Basic proficiency with technical writing, office automation, software, technology, math principles, predictive models, spreadsheets, and tools.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Master's Degree.
- A member of and/or actively participate in local professional practice organizations.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Successful applicant must be able to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 prior to their start date or prior to December 8, 2021, whichever is later, or be granted an exemption based on a disability or sincerely held religious belief. If you cannot receive the vaccine because of a disability or a sincerely-held religious belief, you may submit an accommodation request to WSP’s Equal Employment Opportunity Office. Learn more about the COVID-19 vaccination here - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/index.html.
- Required Education: Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent Experience
- Minimum Years Experience: 1-3 years
- Travel Required: 10%
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: BALTIMORE - EAST PRATT ST
- All locations: US-MD-Baltimore
About WSP USA
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 12,000 employees in over 200 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.