Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We’re looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all backgrounds. That’s why here at WSP, inclusion, diversity, equity and belonging are core principles. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
WSP is currently initiating a search for an Electrical Design Engineer for our Augusta, Maine office.
Provides technical assistance and guidance for multi-site/phase due diligence, investigation, remediation, impact assessment, permitting, design, development, and construction of utility, industrial, and commercial scale projects in the public and private sector. Routinely assist with the research, design, concept development, and construction of transmission and distribution substations, power distribution, power regulation, renewable energy, as well as protection and control systems in a wide variety of contexts (utilities, transportation, building, and Federal, State, and local government projects). Substantiates reports and documentation regarding material, installations, component, and construction specifications. Ensures that responsibilities are delivered and adhered to with a level of quality that meets or exceeds acceptable industry standards for design, safety, and functionality.
- Prepare conceptual design of the complex projects
- Carry out/review/analyze complex technical studies and project scopes.
- Develop and review technical specifications, drawings and standards of equipment/ projects.
- Review the design-based memorandum, detailed engineering scope and guide the assigned discipline engineers to align the engineering deliverables per project requirements.
- Work closely with peers to ensure accurate delivery and thorough electrical design that will meet industry standards and specifications and meet good engineering practices.
- Maintain complete project documentation with respect to engineering studies and calculations, all design packages, as-built requirements and return data information.
- Maintain good working relationship with internal groups that support project such as other Engineering disciplines, Drafting, Procurement, Construction and Project Management etc.
- Selection of equipment and material and preparation of specifications for material, equipment, construction and installation work.
- Develop relay setting calculations and coordination report.
- Review of internal and external designs for code compliance, good design practice and constructability.
- Coordinate design activities with other multi-discipline project team members.
- Maintaining complete project documentation with respect to relay settings and calculations, all design packages, as-built requirements and return data information. Maintaining good working relationship with internal groups that support projects such as other engineering disciplines, Drafting, Project Management etc.
- Determine well-defined methods for collecting, compiling, and analyzing data relating to substation components, equipment specifications for procurement package development and pricing, IFR/IRC detailed design and review processes, and IEEE/NESC Standards/NERC regulations for design work.
- Review and advice on third-party design documents, procurement lists, and project plans.
- Perform professional and more complex electrical engineering work relating to the design of single line, three line, wiring diagrams, general arrangement, substation layout and bus arrangement, grounding grid design and lightning protection in conformance with applicable rules, standards, and construction or operating permits.
- Incorporate future-ready techniques, concept development, operating strategies, and various design requirements with equipment sizing and cabling, AC/DC panel design, and conduit and trenching design strategies that account for the safety and functionality of end-users, systems, and infrastructure.
- Support senior engineers with research and recommendations of components identified in design requirements, as well as field equipment applications and operations.
- Verify the characteristics of a site, providing technical input and guidance on various engineering, design, testing maintenance modifications, and construction procedures and issues.
- Develop electrical calculations for loads, equipment sizing, grounding touch and step potentials, short circuit study, protective device coordination, one-line diagram development, protective relaying, and substation switchyard layouts.
- Develop plans, specifications, and cost estimates; preparing construction safety and phasing plans, and updating electrical infrastructure layout plans that require coordination with owners, other disciplines, sub-consultants, and clients.
- Work as an individual or as part of a cross-functional team of engineers, planners, scientific, and construction professionals to execute project work on multiple concurrent projects, assist with laying out installations, calculating costs and quantities of material/equipment/labor, and ensuring project work conforms with specifications, permit applications, compliance documentation, and regulatory and technical analysis memos.
- Prepare data and visualizations such as tables, charts, accurate reports, sketches, calculations, and illustrations for the interpretation or presentation of data, findings, or analyses.
- Maintain a high level of quality and responsiveness to client requirements in alignment with Pickett’s standards.
- Provide guidance and training to entry-level engineers.
- Prepare technical reports and presentations that explain research, findings, and recommendations to improve, prevent, control, restore, or address design and/or construction issues or opportunities.
- Assist in the analysis, evaluation, and interpretation of data obtained during field investigations, offering input with developing action plans for moderate- to high-level risk mitigation activities.
- Prepare and implement site Health and Safety Plans (HASPs).
- Comply with regulatory requirements pertaining to the data integrity, documentation, procedures, training, monitoring systems, and record compliance and retention.
- Interact with regulatory agencies, subcontractors, and clients in a confident and professional manner.
- Remain current in latest electrical engineering techniques and practices.
- Work collaboratively with other engineers and planners on projects with infrastructure authorities on Federal, State, regional, and locally funded improvement and development projects.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- 5 to 7 years of relevant post education experience as an electrical engineer providing design deliverables for large capital projects, in substation protection and control design
- A Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering from a recognized institution.
- Experience on MathCAD, ASPEN or ETAP software is an asset.
- Experience on relay setting and coordination is a must.
- Experience working with Operations and project controls for purposes of reporting and proposal development.
- Proficient knowledge of electrical engineering principles, practices, process, design/build, and the application to permitting and project work-related issues.
- Experience with infrastructure planning, design, and construction management, including active involvement in a variety of rehabilitation and new design projects.
- Working knowledge of relevant engineering and electrical construction laws, codes, regulations, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements.
- Ability to make technical computations and calculations involving the application of electrical engineering principles, understanding plans and specifications, and making factual comparisons to the appropriate regulations.
- Project management experience with small to mid-level projects including tracking hours and expenses for project work.
- Ability to plan and conduct inspections and investigations on various aspects of the construction and design of facilities or structures, applying applicable regulations and policies.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to an engineering and non-engineering audience.
- Highly capable self-leadership with attention to detail, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work independently and provide guidance and leadership to junior team or project members, with strict adherence to QA/QC.
- Proficiency with technical writing, office automation, discipline-specific design software (i.e., CADD, Aspen, CAPE, ETAP), AutoCADD electrical, technology, math principles, predictive models, spreadsheets, and tools.
- Developed critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to apply technical knowledge to reach conclusions from testing results, data collation, statistical analysis and arriving at the most effective, economical, and logical solution.
- Ability to assertively direct others in the field such as subcontractors and others to consistently complete tasks safely and efficiently.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Experience in SEL and GE relay programming is desirable.
- PE or EIT preferred
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Successful applicant must be able to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 prior to their start date or prior to December 8, 2021, whichever is later, or be granted an exemption based on a disability or sincerely held religious belief. If you cannot receive the vaccine because of a disability or a sincerely-held religious belief, you may submit an accommodation request to WSP’s Equal Employment Opportunity Office. Learn more about the COVID-19 vaccination here - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/index.html.
- Required Education: Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent Experience
- Minimum Years Experience: 5-7 years
- Travel Required: N/A - No travel required
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: AUGUSTA - EDISON DR
- All locations: US-ME-Augusta
About WSP USA
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 12,000 employees in over 200 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.