Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We’re looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all backgrounds. That’s why here at WSP, inclusion, diversity, equity and belonging are core principles. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
Be involved in projects with our Power Transmission & Distribution Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client"s objectives and solves their challenges. WSP is currently initiating a search for a T&D Construction Manager for our Binghamton, NY office.
Provides inspection support to engineers and project managers to ensure construction compliance with plans, specifications, contract documents, and codified requirements. Responsibilities involve performing field inspections on various assigned construction projects of moderate scale, scope, and/or complexity, including examining and evaluating the placement of concrete, installation of underground pipelines, earthwork and roadway paving, buildings, structures, systems, building materials, mechanical and electrical installations, foundations, and environment. Generates accurate and concise documentation regarding assigned aspects of the project. Ensures that responsibilities are delivered and adhered to with a level of quality that meets or exceeds acceptable industry standards for design, safety, functionality, and sustainability.
- Responsible for management and performance of Field Construction Managers for the construction of electric substations, transmission lines, generation upgrades and other projects
- Determine contract resource requirements, service specifications and manage contractor performance
- Manage activities related to coordination of field inspection and sign offs for construction projects.
- Monitor and evaluate activities of outsourced Construction companies to ensure adherence to safety, quality, schedules and budgets, cost effectiveness and control, and results
- Develop, review and evaluate contracts and agreements affecting the project execution and functional area operations and make appropriate recommendations
- Collaborate with management staff to resolve problems and coordinate activities with the field construction managers
- Ensure that construction management is integrated into the planning, scheduling, cost tracking, construction, installation, and testing and acceptance activities
- Ensure Field Construction Managers obtain all construction materials and material handling plans are established and managed
- Coordinate the transmission substations and lines construction schedules with the other functional areas within the company
- Provide constructability feedback on electrical, mechanical, protection and civil construction standards
- Research, recommend and implement changes as necessary to be aligned with AVANGRID Standards and Business Area goals and objectives
- Collaborate with other business organizations, contractors and subject matter experts to resolve disputes and prioritize business requirements
- Participate in the ongoing budget process to provide items, manpower, and control of the construction budget
- Participate in the transmission facilities construction projects negotiations and joint planning efforts with other utilities
- Help lead and collaborate the activities to address or remedy substation and lines transmission system emergencies as necessary
- Identify construction risk during the planning, execution and construction phases and prepare risk mitigation plans.
- Adhere to company policies, programs and procedures as well as Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP), Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC), New England Independent System Operator
- Safety: Maintain safety awareness and ensure contractors comply with all safety policies, practices, and procedures to assure a safe working environment at the construction site. Properly wear and care for applicable safety gear and equipment. Identify and communicate unsafe conditions to Contractors, Project Manager and assure safety concerns and issues are resolved.
- Ensure all field construction managers are managing the project and construction resources within the schedule and budget.Collect, compile, and analyze data from the physical work site, surveys, structural plans, blueprints, schematics, data, technical drawings, flow diagrams, material sampling, computer-generated reports, and other matrices for single, multi-phase, or multi-site field inspection activities.
- Use survey instruments, metering devices, and test equipment to perform inspections on projects of moderate complexity and/or scope, including proposed and existing site conditions, equipment, construction, materials, controls, resources, layout, alignment, and elevation to determine conformance with applicable rules, standards, codes, and construction or operating permits.
- Follow standard practices to provide technical assistance and guidance that accounts for the proper inspection, construction, and functioning of buildings, highways, roads, bridges, materials, structures, infrastructure, equipment, and/or mechanical systems according to design standard specifications.
- Act as consultant regarding work progress and problem resolution; may serve as the only inspector on a construction project or assist in overseeing construction inspection activities for projects of a moderate scope and complexity within a district.
- Verify load calculations, change orders, interpretation of contract plans and specifications; resolving differences in interpretation of plans and specifications.
- Monitor project phasing plans and contractors' work to ensure quality control and contract compliance; documenting work progress and issues arising throughout scope of project.
- Work with cross-functional teams in executing project work.
- Attend pre-construction meetings and answer questions from contractors and other attendees.
- Assist with calculating payments due to contractors for work completed.
- Write technical reports summarizing inspection findings and conclusions; generating complete, accurate, and concise documentation using photographs, sketches, calculations, software, spreadsheets, technical drawings, flow diagrams, 2D/3D illustrations, and reports.
- Assist technical staff, project managers, and contractors with risk identification and assessment, offering input, analysis, escalation, or resolution with construction, mitigation, and improvement activities for more intricate and involved construction or engineering problems.
- Assist with work plan preparation and coordination of any field/site work, reviewing staffing, and equipment utilization data and time/cost estimates.
- Provide guidance and training to entry-level inspection staff.
- Engage in contact with client and contractor personnel to schedule and coordinate project inspection.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- High School Diploma
- A minimum of 9 years of progressive related electric utility industry experience, with transmission facilities construction management experience preferred. Five (5) years' experience in a supervisory capacity preferred
- Demonstrated success leading multiple Transmission Line and Substation construction projects.
- Microsoft Word and Microsoft Project or Equivalent
- Must be willing to travel to construction sites on a day to day basis, attend meetings
- Essential professional licensure/certification(s).
- Valid state driver’s license.
- Well-defined knowledge of construction inspection principles, field inspection practices, process, methods and techniques.
- Well-defined knowledge of relevant construction codes, regulations, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements.
- Analytical mindset with an ability to exercise sound judgement in evaluating situations and making decisions.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to a technical and non-technical audience.
- Proficient self-leadership with attention to detail, accuracy, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to learn new techniques, perform multiple tasks simultaneously, follow instruction, and comply with company policies.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as part of a team to meet business objectives.
- Highly proficient with technical writing, office automation, software, technology, math principles, spreadsheets, and tools.
- Competent critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to apply technical knowledge to reach conclusions from inspection and testing results, data collation, load calculations, statistical analysis and arriving at the most effective, economical, and logical solution.
- Ability to direct others in the field such as subcontractors and junior-level staff to consistently complete tasks safely, efficiently, and accurately according to specifications.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or equivalent education with 7 years relevant experience required.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Successful applicant must be able to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 prior to their start date or prior to December 8, 2021, whichever is later, or be granted an exemption based on a disability or sincerely held religious belief. If you cannot receive the vaccine because of a disability or a sincerely-held religious belief, you may submit an accommodation request to WSP’s Equal Employment Opportunity Office. Learn more about the COVID-19 vaccination here - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/index.html.
- Required Education: High School Diploma / GED
- Minimum Years Experience: 9 years
- Travel Required: 20%
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: BINGHAMTON - UPPER FRONT ST
- All locations: US-NY-Binghamton
About WSP USA
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 12,000 employees in over 200 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.