Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We’re looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all backgrounds. That’s why here at WSP, inclusion, diversity, equity and belonging are core principles. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
WSP, an award‑winning and innovative multi‑disciplinary engineering consulting firm has an opening for a Senior Mechanical Engineer for our Boston, MA office. WSP works closely with architects and owners from around the world on large, complex projects with a focus on sustainability, healthcare, lab and energy performance of the built environment.
Our Engineers work on high quality, high-profile, national and international projects. You will actively participate in the full project cycle, from the design phase through the final construction close-out.
Provides subject matter technical support and leadership for multi-site/phase due diligence, design, development, building, testing, and inspecting of mechanical systems on infrastructure, building, and construction projects in the public and private sector. Responsibilities include the research, design, concept development, planning, installation, operation, maintenance, and optimal integration of automatic temperature control, air distribution, hydronic, and plumbing systems, equipment and processes. Provides situational guidance to PMs and managers that address current and future challenges, and that documentation and recommendations accurately account for and address risk, innovation, and future-ready opportunities. Provides leadership with ensuring that responsibilities are delivered and adhered to with a level of quality that meets or exceeds acceptable industry standards for design, safety, and functionality.
- Design of air distribution systems
- Design of hydronic systems
- Scheduling and selecting major equipment
- Automatic temperature controls system design and specification
- Cooling/heating load calculations
- Construction administration
- Project Management
- Attend client meetings
- Provide oversight with collecting, compiling, and analyzing data from the physical work site, surveys, blueprints, schematics, data, technical drawings, computer-generated reports, and other matrices for project development, design, and construction.
- Apply high-level mechanical engineering techniques and processes to identify improvements involving more complex building and infrastructure engineering work including concept development, preliminary design, final design, procurement, construction, and operation.
- Perform professional mechanical engineering work and conduct more complex/comprehensive investigations and inspections of proposed and existing site conditions, equipment, resources, facilities, building, infrastructure, usage, and mechanical systems to determine conformance with applicable rules, standards, and construction or operating permits.
- Develop construction and installation plans, specifications, and cost estimates; preparing construction safety and phasing plans, and updating infrastructure layout plans that require coordination with owners, other disciplines, sub-consultants, and clients.
- Involved from project inception to completion in the management of mechanical design and construction of building and infrastructure projects, including rehabilitation and reconstruction, new builds, operating specifications, building materials, phasing, and construction safety plans.
- Oversees the development and implementation of advanced technologies, monitoring devices, building materials, modeling techniques, design requirements, load calculations, and operating strategies to account for the proper installation and functioning of equipment and systems; implementing future-ready solutions with mechanical engineering design standards.
- Provide high-level technical assistance on various engineering, design, and construction issues relating to automatic temperature control systems and specifications, air distribution (supply, return, exhaust), hydronic systems (chilled water, heating water, etc.) and plumbing systems (domestic water, waste, vent, storm, etc.).
- Lead larger-scale mechanical engineering projects ensuring contributors know what they are required to do and by when, preparing and overseeing relevant project budgets, monitoring external events, tracking hours and expenses, ensuring satisfactory performance, and supervising subcontractors, contract work, and employees.
- Assist with engineering review of permit applications, mechanical engineering design plans and specifications, standby plans and engineering contracts, integrated waste management plans, and periodic construction inspections, to ensure that they comply with applicable state and/or federal regulations and sound engineering practice and standards.
- Meet with various public or private entities or individuals to discuss issues relating to a variety of engineering/construction challenges and programs.
- Ensure technical reports and presentations explain research, findings, and recommendations to prevent, control, restore, or address engineering, design, and/or construction issues or opportunities.
- Develop a client base for providing high level mechanical engineering services including identifying additional business development opportunities.
- Mentor staff to support their growth and professional development.
- Remain current in latest mechanical engineering techniques and practices.
- Collaborate with professionals from a variety of disciplines, other engineers, planners, building, and infrastructure authorities on Federal, State, regional, and locally funded improvement and development projects, as well as proposal and business development opportunities.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, or closely related discipline with a focus in HVAC
- 10 + years' experience designing mechanical systems for the built environment. Project experience submitted for consideration should include buildings on which you have actively participated in the project from the design phase through the final construction close-out.
- Experience of the design of HVAC systems and automatic temperature controls for a broad range of commercial systems, specifically Healthcare design experience. Experience in Science and Technology (S&T) projects are a plus.
- Working knowledge of building and energy codes, including OSPHD requirements.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with an emphasis on the ability to organize and present design information to clients.
- Valid Driver's License
- Highly proficient with mechanical engineering principles, practices, process, design/build, and the application to permitting and project work-related issues.
- Highly proficient with building and infrastructure design.
- Experience with building and infrastructure planning, design, and program/construction management; including project involvement in a variety of rehabilitation and reconstruction, new design, and construction projects.
- Strong knowledge of relevant mechanical engineering and construction laws, codes, regulations, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements.
- Highly proficient with making technical computations and calculations involving the application of engineering principles, understanding plans and specifications, and making factual comparisons to the appropriate regulations.
- Experience with planning and conducting inspections and investigations on various aspects of the construction and design of facilities, structures and systems, applying applicable regulations and policies
- Highly effective interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing intricate ideas effectively and professionally to an engineering and non-engineering audience.
- Strong self-leadership and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to effectively, persuasively, and tactfully interact with clients, regulators, project managers, and employees at all levels of the organization.
- Works independently to provide guidance and leadership to mid-level to senior level team or project members, with strict adherence to QA/QC.
- Proficiency with technical writing, office automation, load calculations, discipline-specific design software (i.e., AutoCAD, CAM), technology, math principles, predictive models, spreadsheets, and tools.
- Experienced with providing critical review for documents and preparing technical deliverables and plans with a high degree of complexity.
- Well-developed critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to apply technical knowledge to reach conclusions from testing results, data collation, load calculations, computations, statistical analysis and arriving at the most effective, economical, and logical solution.
- Demonstrated effectiveness at coordinating and assertively directing subcontractors and others to consistently complete tasks safely and efficiently.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Must be flexible to a variety of schedules to meet business needs and able to prioritize responsibilities and quickly adapt to change in a pressure work environment.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Master’s Degree in Engineering.
- LEED AP desired
- PE License
- Working knowledge of Revit software
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Successful applicant must be able to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 prior to their start date or prior to December 8, 2021, whichever is later, or be granted an exemption based on a disability or sincerely held religious belief. If you cannot receive the vaccine because of a disability or a sincerely-held religious belief, you may submit an accommodation request to WSP’s Equal Employment Opportunity Office. Learn more about the COVID-19 vaccination here - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/index.html.
- Required Education: Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent Experience
- Minimum Years Experience: 10+ years
- Travel Required: N/A - No travel required
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: BOSTON - SUMMER ST
- All locations: US-MA-Boston
About WSP USA
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 12,000 employees in over 200 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.