Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We’re looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all backgrounds. That’s why here at WSP, inclusion, diversity, equity and belonging are core principles. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
WSP is currently initiating a search for a part-time Lead Transportation Planner for our Baltimore, MD office to support and add to our wide and diverse range of transportation planning services that enables future-ready growth. Be involved in projects with our Transportation Planning Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges.
- Perform planning development and technical work and identify potential solutions for a full range of planning activities and studies related to multi-modal transportation, public transit, feasibility studies, policy documentation and research.
- Conduct data collection, research, surveys, and draft technical memorandum and sections of documents for planning and technical studies.
- Assist with the development and mentoring of junior-level staff and review technical assignments within the Planning group.
- Create, edit, maintain, and analyze datasets and geospatial data.
- Prepare and present technical information to internal and external working groups, participate with leading client meetings, and develop and present alternative solutions and ideas.
- Assists in development of schedule and budget requirements in monitoring project progress.
- Represent the business professionally at external professional events and stay up-to-date in knowledge of current trends and planning practices.
- Ensure regulatory requirement compliance pertaining to the data integrity, documentation, procedures, training, monitoring systems, reporting, and record compliance and retention.
- Perform professional transportation planning work and conduct investigations, inspections, studies, and surveys to gain further information on a particular problem or issue.
- Prepare applications and represent clients in the approval process with local and regional jurisdictions.
- Prepare, coordinate, and facilitate public involvement and consensus-building meetings in support of client project work, answering public questions on behalf of the client, and assisting with long-range planning efforts on medium- to large-sized projects.
- Prepare drafts of technical memos, meeting minutes, transmittals, presentations, and other written materials summarizing research with findings and conclusions.
- Oversee and monitor cross-functional teams in executing project work, approval or permitting strategy, impact assessments, and regulatory compliance, including project budgets, tracking hours and expenses, and task completion.
- Coordinate with clients, resource/regulatory agencies, subcontractors, and technical staff in a confident and professional manner.
- Collaborate with professionals from a variety of disciplines to provide future ready solutions for clients.
- Actively engage in business development and proposal writing.
- Remain current in latest transportation planning subject matter, practices, regulations, and techniques.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Transportation Planning, Urban Planning, Civil Engineering, or a related field
- 7 to 10 years of experience working in the transportation planning field, transit planning and/or operations, active transportation planning or engineering/design including experience leading multi-modal corridor level planning projects.
- Experience leading projects with significant complete streets, vision zero and / or equitable transportation considerations.
- Proficiency with the transportation project development cycle, including from planning to implementation.
- Highly proficient analytical skills and prior experience with research techniques, local/regional geography, transportation networks, systems, and modalities.
- Expertise and experience with relevant approval processes, zoning laws, permitting requirements, notification and compliance practices, and applicable Regional/State/Federal regulatory framework.
- Demonstrated experience leading and reviewing transportation planning technical reports, impact assessments, evaluations, siting reports, logistics, and permit applications.
- Well-developed expertise with consulting practices, and established experience coordinating with clients, regulatory agencies, subcontractors, and technical staff required.
- Highly proficient self-leadership and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to effectively, persuasively, and tactfully interact with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work independently and provide guidance and leadership to junior team or project members, with strict adherence to QA/QC.
- Experience with discipline-specific software including ArcGIS and Microsoft Office Suite with strong MicroStation and/or InRoads.
- Proficiency with technical writing, office automation and communication software, technology, and tools.
- Well-developed critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to reach conclusions from testing results, data collation, and identify the most effective solutions to accomplish objectives of assigned projects.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Master’s Degree is preferred.
- AICP, PE, or other relevant licensure/certification.
- Participation on conference program with panels, poster sessions, papers and presentations.
- Experience working with public agencies.
- Expertise in other technical softwares relevant to planning, engineering, graphic design, and data analytics.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Successful applicant must be able to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 prior to their start date or prior to December 8, 2021, whichever is later, or be granted an exemption based on a disability or sincerely held religious belief. If you cannot receive the vaccine because of a disability or a sincerely-held religious belief, you may submit an accommodation request to WSP’s Equal Employment Opportunity Office. Learn more about the COVID-19 vaccination here - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/index.html.
- Required Education: Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent Experience
- Minimum Years Experience: 7-10 years
- Travel Required: N/A - No travel required
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Part
- Primary Location: BALTIMORE - EAST PRATT ST
- All locations: US-MD-Baltimore
About WSP USA
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 12,000 employees in over 200 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.