Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We’re looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all experiences, skillsets, backgrounds and walks of life. We actively foster a work environment and culture where inclusion and diversity is part of our fundamental structure. This is delivered behaviorally, through our policies, trainings, local partnerships with professional diverse organizations, internal networks and most importantly with the support and sponsorship of our leaders who help drive our commitment to an inclusive, diverse, welcoming and equitable work environment. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
We are a global leader in environmental consulting - made stronger with the recent acquisition of Wood’s Environment & Infrastructure business and Golder - with world-class expertise in environmental, social and governance (ESG), climate resiliency & sustainability (CRS), and earth sciences. Combined we have over 20,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on. As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from across the globe.
WSP is currently seeking a Geotechnical Engineer to join our Augusta, GA office. Provides geotechnical engineering support to technical staff, engineers, and project managers for design, and construction of infrastructure projects and systems in the public and private sector. Tasks may include basic assistance with the research, design, analysis, concept development, and construction of roads, buildings, power plants, tunnels, dams, canals, levees, bridges, water supply systems, underground storage, and sewage treatment. Generates accurate and concise reports and documentation regarding assigned material, installations, and construction specifications. Ensures that responsibilities are delivered and adhered to with a level of quality that meets or exceeds acceptable industry standards for design, safety, and functionality.
- With minimal supervision, assist with collecting, compiling, and analyzing data from the physical work site, soil/water/sludge/rock samples, surveys, blueprints, GIS data, subsurface information, maps, geotechnical data, and other matrices for project development, design, and construction.
- Maintain quality control standards and procedures for accurate and precise measurements and statistical analysis of rock and soil data.
- Perform basic professional geotechnical engineering work relating to conducting research and inspections of proposed and existing site conditions, including subsurface investigations, soil foundation engineering, settlement analysis, soil erosion, lateral earth pressures, geological hazards, underground water, and slope stability for commercial, industrial, building, infrastructure, and transportation projects.
- Assist with the development of technologies, monitoring devices, modeling techniques, design requirements, and operating strategies to account for the safety and functionality of end-users, transportation systems, structures, and the incorporation of future-ready solutions with geotechnical engineering design standards.
- Assist with verifying the characteristics of a site and providing technical assistance on various design, and construction issues involving rock and soil mechanics, and investigating subsurface and geological conditions to design and build foundations, earth structures, and pavement sub-grades.
- Write technical reports summarizing research with findings and conclusions, generating complete, accurate, and concise documentation using sketches, calculations, electronic systems, spreadsheets, and software.
- Assist technical staff and project managers with risk identification and assessment, offering input and analysis with design concepts, construction, mitigation and improvement activities, and remediation projects.
- Work with cross-functional teams in executing project work.
- Assist with work plan preparation and coordination of field/site work and laboratory testing.
- Complete training on assigned tasks.
- Work collaboratively with other engineers and planners on projects with infrastructure authorities, and development projects.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Geotechnical Engineering, or closely related discipline.
- 1 to 3 years of relevant post education experience.
- Knowledge of geotechnical engineering principles, practices, process, design/build, and the application to project work-related issues.
- Highly familiar with construction codes, regulations, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements.
- Analytical mindset with an ability to exercise sound judgement in evaluating situations and making decisions.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to an engineering and non-engineering audience.
- Capable self-leadership with attention to detail, accuracy, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as part of a team to meet business objectives.
- Basic proficiency with technical writing, office automation, software, technology, math principles, predictive models, spreadsheets, and tools.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Engineer in Training Certification.
- Experience with discipline-specific design software (i.e., GINT, LPILE, Settle 3D, GeoSlope, Group, etc.).
- Prior geotechnical experience.
- A member of and/or actively participate in local professional practice organizations.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Travel Required: N/A - No travel required
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: ATLANTA - BUFORD HWY
- All locations: US-GA-Atlanta, US-GA-Augusta, US-GA-Savannah
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 15,000 employees in over 300 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a flexible, agile and hybrid workplace model while meeting client needs. Employees are also afforded a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.