TMC HealthCare is Southern Arizona's regional nonprofit hospital system with Tucson Medical Center at its core. Each day staff comes to work to use their skills and expertise to improve the health of the entire community, from birth to the end of life.
Northern Cochise Community Hospital Position Description
JOB TITLE: Respiratory Care Practitioner
Serves patients and assist physicians/providers in the diagnosis, management, treatment, and prevention of disease by providing cardiopulmonary care services in accordance with specific physician’s/provider’s orders, department policies and procedures.
Provides safe and appropriate cardiopulmonary services to patients.
- Accurately reads and verifies physician/provider orders
- Communicates effectively with health care team.
- Follows The 5 Rights of Medication to reduce potential for medication errors.
- Administers respiratory therapy treatments to include, but are not limited to: nebulizers, patient ventilation, airway management, and monitors for possible side effects.
- Performs diagnostic testing functions to include, but are not limited to: arterial blood gas collection, pulmonary function testing, electrocardiograms, and cardiac stress test tracings.
- Assesses patient’s needs and ability to tolerate treatment and provides reassessment for patient’s response to treatment.
- Educates patient on cardiopulmonary issues and includes patient’s family as appropriate.
- Explains procedures and treatments to patient to gain patient cooperation, facilitate understanding, and alleviate patient apprehension.
Maintains up-to-date and accurate documentation of care provided to ensure the integration of information for use by the healthcare team to ensure quality care.
- Maintains/reviews patient records, charts and other pertinent information.
- Documents all care, procedures, medication administration, communication with ancillary departments and providers, and family interactions and interventions.
Ensures operation of equipment by performing preventative and corrective maintenance of equipment .
- Performs daily, weekly, monthly, or as needed, maintenance on instruments and equipment as appropriate.
- Performs calibration of equipment as required.
- Runs proficiency testing by established protocols.
- Follows established procedures for quality control and reports discrepancies to the appropriate supervisor.
Performs collection and pre-analytical process of biological specimens for analysis.
- Collects specimens directly from patients -- such as blood, sputum, etc.
- Follows the Hospital Exposure Control Plans / Bloodborne and Airborne Pathogens.
- Works with infection control to follow proper precaution protocols
Maintains current knowledge/certification/licensure. Pursues professional growth and development.
- Maintains a current knowledge and understanding of differences in techniques and treatment modalities as performed on patients of all ages.
- Participates in professional growth functions and performance improvement activities.
- Attends skills fairs and in services as applicable.
- Participates in tracking Quality Measures.
- Completes annual competencies as required.
Provides employee mask fit testing services.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Graduate of an accredited program in Respiratory Therapy. One or more years work experience in hospitals providing respiratory therapy care is preferred.
- Current, unrestricted, Arizona Respiratory Care Practitioner (RCP) license required.
- Current national certification as RRT or CRT.
- Current BLS certification required.
- ACLS and PALS required within 6 months of hire.
- NRP & STABLE preferred.
KNOWLEDGE/ SKILLS/ ABILITIES
- Skill in ABG collection, respiratory therapy procedures, quality control, equipment calibration, and preventative maintenance.
- Ability to maintain professional and technological knowledge by attending continuing education workshops, reviewing professional publications, and participating in affiliated societies.
- Basic computer skills which may include Microsoft Office and other programs