System Engineer Job Description
The Engineer III will apply a variety of infrastructure experience to designing, implementing and testing new business solutions, hardware refreshes and configurations enhancements. The person in this role will work very closely with software development teams, production operations team and support groups to meet business and technical demands. This person will be able to apply virtualization experience, network design and storage concepts to develop designs and proposals for infrastructure changes with high availability in mind.
- Creation/Deployment of VMs using VMWare, building and integrating systems based of business requirements, and working with different teams to validate interfaces.
- Maintenance and monitoring of development & testing equipment running Red Hat Linux. Troubleshooting with development teams, making OS changes, testing changes and documenting changes for hand off to production teams.
- Meet with internal & external clients to gather technical requirements for new engineering requirements, document technical proposals, and be able to review with team in a clear and concise manner.
- Responsible for changes, validation and deployment of functionality of enterprise level DNS infrastructure Build and modify Ansible jobs to provision new RHEL systems via Satellite; setup other OS automations to streamline repetitive administration via Satellite 6 system.
- Keep abreast of latest changes, vulnerabilities and feature availability for Red Hat Linux, Red Hat Directory Services, Atlassian, Gluster, Splunk, VMWare, vCenter, NGNIX.
- Perform hardware and software installations, upgrades, and troubleshooting of OS, provisioning, email and web-based applications.
- Perform resource monitoring, performance tuning and scaling of infrastructure as needed on RHEL systems.
- Customize scripts to kickstart RHEL systems; setup other automations to streamline repetitive administration.
- Configure, monitor, and manage physical storage and file systems on LINUX servers.
- Maintain and apply changes necessary on 2-factor authentication platform and apply understanding of SAML.
- Work closely with application support & security teams to maintain up-to-date patch levels and application specific feature configuration.
- Document Linux configurations and procedures participate in environment planning meetings and communicate environment requirements to management.
- Participate in on-call rotation and work to resolve critical issues 24/7
- Bachelor’s degree in MIS, CS or related field required.
- 3-5 years’ experience with RHEL versions 7/8, CentOS, or Fedora system administration in an enterprise environment required.
- 2-4 years’ experience supporting web, NGINX, HAProxy and email servers in an ISP environment preferred.
- 1-2 years’ experience working with and support VMWare & vCenter v6.
- Ability to multitask and or related support mechanisms for escalation/resolution purposes.
- Understanding of PHP, NGINX, HAProxy, 2-factor authentication, sssd, firewalld, etc.
- Internet server protocols and utilities (DNS, SMTP, POP, IMAP, HTTP/S, TLS, S/FTP, TCP/IP, SSH, iptables)
- Advanced enterprise level skills in shell scripting and programming with vi editor.
- Knowledge of enterprise Technologies (Active Batch Scheduling Software, NFS, Kickstart, RedHat Satellite 6, Active Directory, RHEL 8 features, performance analysis tools such as AppDynamics, mail, SELINUX/firewalld.
- Knowledge of internet server protocols and utilities (DNS, SMTP, POP, IMAP, HTTP/S, TLS, S/FTP, TCP/IP, SSH, iptables).
- Experience with troubleshooting and problem-solving skills with little supervision (email, network, hardware, OS).
- Understanding of RHEL and/or software-based cluster configurations and concepts such as keepalived.
- Performance tuning and monitoring (Nagios, Cacti, Solarwinds)
- Technical documentation skills.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgement.
- Working knowledge of Splunk, GlusterFS, NetApp, Cisco UCS helpful