Program Associate/Senior Program Associate
Freedom House is founded on the core conviction that freedom flourishes in democratic nations where governments are accountable to their people; the rule of law prevails; and freedoms of expression, association, and belief, as well as respect for the rights of women, minority communities, and historically marginalized groups are guaranteed. Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline human rights defenders. We are a leading organization in supporting the right of every individual to be free, and in identifying and mitigating threats to freedom worldwide.
Freedom House’s Latin American and Caribbean (LAC) team seeks a Program Associate or Senior Program Associate, depending on years of relevant experience. The Program Associate (entry level position)/ Senior Program Associate (1-2 year of relevant professional experience) provides administrative, financial and logistical support for project activity implementation.
This is a non-exempt position. The position holder must obtain written authorization from his/her supervisor before working in excess of 40 hours/week.
- Operations – Plan, organize, and execute team meetings and events with external parties in compliance with host country requirements, Freedom House policies, and donor regulations. Attend meetings as required to provide onsite support or as a development opportunity.
- Project implementation –
- Provide administrative, financial, and logistical support for project activity implementation to ensure that projects are implemented in compliance with both Freedom House and funder requirements.
- In collaboration with the field, support management of partnerships with subrecipients during all stages of grant cycle (proposal, implementation, and close-out).
- Assist the field in monitoring project implementation (activities, expenses, and data collection) of subrecipients related to the approved proposal package. Contribute to identify and report progress, challenges, and opportunities.
- Support the execution of activity implementation by performing administrative (e.g., invoice and payment requests processing, data entry, travel scheduling, and meeting coordination, etc.) and programmatic assignments in accordance with established expectations and timelines.
- Proposal development – Assist aspects of the proposal development process for new funding opportunities.
- Analysis – Complete basic desk research and provide summarized findings in a clear, concise, and understandable manner, with objectives, relevant facts, data, and conclusions presented as required.
- External Relations – Develop effective professional relationships with grantees and other local partner organizations. Attend outside meetings and events as requested and prepare notes for the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, International Relations, or related field.
- One to two years of relevant professional experience for the Senior Program Associate.
- Experience living, volunteering, working, or studying in Latin America is preferred.
- Familiarity with human rights or democracy-related issues in the closest countries of Latin America is desired .
- Experience managing grant/cooperative agreements, including USG funding, is desired.
Skills and Competencies
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English and Spanish, both verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles to perform accurate calculations and understand quantitative information. Demonstrated experience managing and creating budgets in Excel is required for Senior Program Associate.
- Basic database skills are desired for Program Associate and required for Senior Program Associate.
- Strong ability to independently plan, organize, prioritize work, and multitask to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to apply superb attention to detail and propensity to complete work accurately and with a focus on quality.
- Interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to interact effectively and diplomatically with individuals at all levels of the organization, as well as externally both domestically and internationally.
- Ability to collaborate with others and successfully work as an effective team member.
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times.
- Strong understanding of digital and physical security protocols.
- Basic proficiency of Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Ability to travel internationally, as needed.
Attributes and Characteristics
- Exhibit strong and sustained commitment to Freedom House's mission.
- Show good stewardship in use of Freedom House resources.
- Respond promptly to stakeholder needs and solicit stakeholder feedback to improve service quality.
- Exhibit professional conduct at all times, with a pleasant demeanor, good humor, positive attitude, adaptability to change, and ethical conduct.
- Consistently use good judgment in all circumstances.
- Comply with all applicable policies and procedures.
- Exhibit high work standards, adherence to procedures, attention to detail, and responsibility for assigned tasks.
- Demonstrate strong desire for excellence, and desire to inspire others to attain professional excellence.
- Assess own strengths and weaknesses, pursue training and development opportunities, and strive to continuously build knowledge and skills.
Applicants are required to complete our online application form and to submit a resume and a cover letter that outlines interests and qualifications for this position.
- Diversity makes our work stronger. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all background to apply.
- Freedom House provides a strong benefits package, including a 403(b)-retirement account, commuter benefits, flexible hours, floating holidays, high employer contributions to medical, dental, and vision premiums, basic and voluntary life and AD&D insurance, short- and long-term disability, flexible spending account, and more.
- Staff members are currently working remotely or partially remotely due to Covid-19, and Freedom House is continuing to evaluate when and under what circumstances, staff will return to the office. This position will start completely or partially remote and will require mandatory relocation to Washington DC once circumstances allow.
- Candidates must possess authorization to work in the United States.
- Physical requirements: Sedentary, regularly required to sit for extended periods of time; constantly talk, hear, and understand speech at normal levels using a telephone. Occasionally required to stand, walk, and bend over, reach overhead, use hands, wrists, and fingers, to grasp, push, pull, move, handle, feel, and type. Constantly required to use close vision and distance vision for regular computer work. Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. to waist height.
- General working conditions: General working office environment. Some long hours, including evenings and/or weekends as reasonable, to complete essential tasks or attend important events and to be responsive in a timely manner to emergency assistance requests. Travel to event and meeting sites. Exposed to outside weather conditions when required to attend event venues or travel.
Disclaimer : This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.