Freedom House is seeking an enthusiastic young professional to join its team in Kyiv as a full-time Program Assistant. The Project Assistant provides administrative and programmatic assistance necessary for the day-to-day coordination and administration of a field office in Ukraine, and a portfolio of activities focused on human rights, civic engagement, and freedom of expression. Duties include but are not limited to background research and news monitoring, assistance in drafting narrative reporting, liaising with project partners on administrative, financial, and compliance issues, logistical coordination, basic communications, and programmatic assistance assigned portfolio. The position is well-suited for someone who seeks to strengthen their office and program administration skills for a career in human rights and humanitarian affairs.
The Project Assistant is a full-time position based in Kyiv, Ukraine, and will report to Kyiv Project Director. Applicants must upload a cover letter as well as clearly indicate their desired salary in their application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Principal Duties, Responsibilities, and Expectations
- Project implementation support:
- track and document program activities and impact to ensure all project objectives are met
- coordinate logistics for travel, meetings, and events
- track and update office and program expenditures daily in compliance with Freedom House, donor requirements, and Ukrainian law
- monitor sub-grantee spending and assist in resolving any issues
- draft periodic program reports
- assist with identifying consultants and vendors
- maintain communication with partners and other external actors as requested
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Research and new business development support:
- monitor the developments in Ukraine, particularly events on human rights, democracy, and fundamental freedoms
- provide research and analysis assistance for Europe and Eurasia team, contribute to the regular internal digest
- work with supervisor to identify and engage potential partners
- assist in drafting proposals, including budgets and data collection tools
- External relations support:
- develop effective professional relationships with grantees, other local organizations, peer organizations and partners, and donors
- attend outside meetings and events as requested, and prepare notes for team
- assist in drafting press releases, articles, and briefing notes
- maintain, promote, and post content in Ukrainian and Russian on Freedom House Ukraine’s social media platforms, including Facebook, and other relevant resources
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required (preferred fields: Human Rights, International Relations, Law, Journalism, Public Communications, Public Administration or similar)
- At least one year of relevant office and program administration experience in a donor-funded NGO/project (preferably US-government funded) required, two years a plus
- Knowledge of and respect for international human rights principles and mechanisms
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Professional fluency in Ukrainian and/or Russian, both verbally and in writing
Skills and Competencies
- Mastery of MS Office Suite and ability to accurately type a minimum of 40 words per minute. Demonstrated experience managing and creating budgets in Excel
- Ability to coordinate travel logistics, meetings, and use of conference facilities
- Ability to accept and complete administrative tasks with a can-do attitude and on-time
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles and USG grant-related compliance requirements
- Strong ability to work independently with minimal supervision, plan, organize, prioritize work, and multi-task to meet tight deadlines
- Strong ability to apply interpersonal skills and successfully work in a diverse and multicultural environment with a high degree of ambiguity
- Ability to apply superb attention to detail and consistently produce timely and error-free work
- Excellent timekeeping and attendance at all times
- Exhibit excellent phone etiquette, pleasant demeanor, and ethical conduct
Qualified and Interested Applicants
Only candidates who submit a complete application, including a resume and cover letter with the desired salary, will be considered.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.