Freedom House monitors, strengthens, and defends democracy worldwide through programs that support frontline activists, research, and advocacy. We are leaders in identifying threats to civil liberties and political rights, and never in our 80-year history has our work mattered more. We seek an experienced fundraiser to serve as a Development Officer or Sr. Development Officer, commensurate with previous experience.
Freedom House is embarking on a period of revitalization, which includes a strong commitment to securing new external funds and diversifying our private fundraising. This position presents an exciting opportunity to be a part of a growing development team with the enthusiastic support of the organization’s senior leadership.
Diversity makes our work stronger. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Qualified candidates possess the following traits: a passion for donor and prospect outreach and gift solicitation; creativity, initiative, trustworthiness, and curiosity – tempered by pragmatism, patience, and close attention to detail; a collaborative, flexible, optimistic style; and an understanding of and passion for our mission.
Essential duties include:
- Fundraising: Lead cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities for portfolio of 75-100 prospects, following strategies approved by the Vice President of Development. Mastery of high-performing development office characteristics including: prospect qualification; proposal writing; planned giving; database management and maintenance of funding prospects; event conceptualization, management, and execution; and stewardship planning and implementation. Support fundraising and prospect management activities for Freedom House senior leadership and Board, as appropriate.
- Internal and external communications: Serve as trusted liaison and collaborator for colleagues at all levels of the institution, offering innovative ideas to increase income for Freedom House in priority areas. Responsible for preparing a variety of public and private correspondence, reports, and documentation, and tracking/follow up as necessary.
- Donor/Prospect Focus: Coordinate closely with the Development staff to meet or exceed annual fundraising goals. Bring new prospects and donors to Freedom House, achieving visit, proposal, and income goals while maintaining robust prospect pipeline and internal records. Skilled at prioritizing outward-facing fundraising activities. Prepare materials for prospects, donors, and Board members. Maintain general awareness and interest in the different programs and activities of Freedom House.
- At least six years of progressively increasing responsibility as a frontline fundraiser required for the Development Officer position, or 12+ years of progressively increasing responsibility for the Sr. Development Officer position. Experience operating in fast-paced environments with individual and institutional donors. Experience with foreign and domestic funding is preferred, but not required.
- Proven track record in soliciting and securing five and six figure gifts
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including interacting with people with a wide range of political and social views
- Skilled in establishing trusted partnerships throughout the organization; maintaining and managing highly-confidential information; using expert judgment when dealing with internal and external constituents
- Superb attention to detail, balanced against consistent production of timely, error-free work
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Proficient in prospect and pipeline management. Experience using Salesforce as a fundraising tool is preferred.
- Comfortable serving as support to senior executives as they manage fundraising prospects and donors
- Strong capability to take on additional tasks when required, work independently with limited supervision, and to coordinate the efforts of other professionals to effectively meet objectives in a timely manner
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a related field
- Preferred: experience or interest in democracy promotion or human rights
Applicants are required to complete our online application form and to submit a resume and a cover letter that outlines interests and qualifications for this position.
- Diversity makes our work stronger. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
- Salaries are commensurate with experience and based on pay grades that prioritize equity across the organization. The salary range starts at a minimum of $58,000 for the Development Officer position and $80,000 for the Sr. Development Officer position.
- Freedom House provides a strong benefits package, including an employer match program for your 403(b) retirement account, flexible hours, floating holidays, high employer contributions to medical, dental, and vision premiums, basic and voluntary life and AD&D insurance, short- and long-term disability, flexible spending account, and more.
- Candidates must possess authorization to work in the United States.
- The hired candidate is expected to begin in December 2021.
Physical Requirements: Sedentary, regularly required to sit for extended periods of time. Constantly talk, hear, and understand speech at normal levels using a telephone. Occasionally required to stand, walk, and bend over; reach overhead; use hands, wrists, and fingers to grasp, push, pull, move, handle, feel, and type. Constantly required to use close vision and distance vision for regular computer work. Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. to waist height.
General Working Conditions: General working office environment. Some long hours, including evenings and/or weekends as reasonable, to complete essential tasks or attend important events and to be responsive in a timely manner to emergency assistance requests. Travel to event and meeting sites. Exposed to outside weather conditions when required to attend event venues or travel.
Freedom House is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. Read more about the application process and search answers to common questions here. Freedom House offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and professional development.
Interested in learning more about our current work?
Keep up with us on social media: Twitter @FreedomHouse, Facebook at FreedomHouseDC