Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit.
Freedom House is seeking a Khartoum based Finance & Administration Associate to support its Sudan projects funded by the U.S. Department of State and USAID. The projects seek to strengthen the capacity of civil society to document violations and advocate for human rights as well as influence existing and future political processes in Sudan. The Finance & Administration Associate will provide administrative, logistical, and financial support for the projects. The position is based in Khartoum, Sudan and reports to the Freedom House Finance Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan and organize logistics for trainings and other interventions;
- Coordinate and maintain relationships with vendors relevant to the implementation of program activities;
- Track and assist in reporting and compliance on project expenses;
- Submit payment requests and reconciliation reports on time and with all required receipts and backup documentation as outlined by Freedom House’s policies;
- Support the reviewing and posting of entries to General Ledger, Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable.
- In coordination with the Khartoum-based team, Finance Manager and headquarters program and finance staff, assist the financial and grant compliance component of sub-grant programs including assessment of sub-grant applications, assisting in creation of sub-grant documentation and monitoring of financial reporting.
- Support the preparation of detailed monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports and statements.
- Assist with monitoring cash flow and managing Freedom House’s financial status.
- Assist with the effective functioning of the office support systems including negotiations with the landlord, vendors and other service providers in the most cost-effective manner.
- Assist with maintaining internal controls to ensure compliance with financial policies and regulations.
- Other duties as assigned by the Finance Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business, economics, or related field.
- Minimum 2-4 years of experience in a finance and/or administration related role
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English and Arabic, both verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of MS Office Suite, specifically Excel and Word, and Quickbooks.
- Experience organizing logistics for conferences, workshops, and trainings.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Prior experience working with the financial and grant compliance aspect of sub-grant programs preferred.
- Ability to effectively write reports, maintain documentation, and complete required forms.
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times.
- General working office environment in Khartoum, Sudan;
- Some evening and weekend hours to complete tasks;
- Travel within Sudan outside of Khartoum;
- Exposed to outside weather conditions when required to complete assigned tasks outside the office;
- May involve work in regions that are remote and lack basic modern infrastructure, and in regions under U.S. travel advisory due to threats of terrorist attacks, civil unrest, kidnappings, disease outbreaks, etc.
Attributes and Characteristics:
- Eagerness to think creatively about complex challenges
- Willingness to reflect, learn, and adapt
- Strong cross-cultural communication skills
- Exhibit strong and sustained commitment to the mission of Freedom House
- Commitment to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all aspects of work
- Ethical conduct and ability to model integrity to colleagues
- High professional standards and takes responsibility for quality of work
- Understanding of personal strengths and areas for growth; continuously builds knowledge and skills
- Able to manage competing tasks on tight deadlines; know when to ask for assistance
- Able to work on sensitive issues such as human rights violations, violent extremism, torture
- Team oriented and thrives in a vibrant, collegial work atmosphere
Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Qualified and Interested Applicants
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume, and cover letter with desired salary, through Freedom House’s portal by Thursday, October 15, 2021.
Candidate cover letters should specifically address how their previous experience relates to the duties and qualifications listed above.
Only candidates who respond to these as well as the salary requirements will be considered for the position. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
This vacancy is open to those candidates with relevant permits to work in Sudan.