Director of Talent and Culture
Freedom House works to defend and expand freedom globally. It has embarked on a period of strategic realignment to respond to growing threats to democracy and human rights. A new Director of Talent and Culture will serve as a strategic partner to the senior leadership team during this period of change. The new director will have the experience and skills to manage the complexities of a global workforce; build performance-driven people systems; resolve complex people-related issues inherent in a mission-driven environment; shape the workforce to fulfill the organization’s mission, and support an organization committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. The position reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND EXPECTATIONS:
Leadership and Strategic Implementation:
- Develop and lead the organization’s efforts in recruiting, compensating, developing, evaluating, and retaining the staff needed to achieve organizational goals.
- Assess the operational structure and resources required for a central talent management function that will provide the policies, processes, and systems needed to support and measure progress towards achieving the organization’s talent and culture related objectives.
- Review, develop and implement policies and practices for employment of personnel employed by or deployed to non-US field locations, as well as additional policies needed for work practices during COVID or post-COVID for all locations.
- Implement an employee development program to include onboarding, staff development, managerial training, and leadership development.
- Advise management on and develop strategies for employee relations, organizational culture, onboarding and training, and staff morale.
- Ensure the integration of principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion into all Freedom House initiatives.
Human Resource Administration:
- Hire, manage, and develop the staff of the department.
- Manage relationships with employee benefit and outsourced service providers, ensuring the organization and its employees are receiving optimal value.
- Ensure the organization meets all federal, state, and local employment related compliance and reporting requirements.
- Other duties as assigned, which may include oversight of office operations.
Knowledge and expertise should include a compelling combination across as many of the following as possible: understanding and managing the complexities of managing a global workforce; building performance-driven people systems; resolving complex people-related issues inherent in a mission-driven environment; shaping the workforce to fulfill the organization’s mission, and supporting an organization committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Human Resources professional certification, HRCI-SPHR or SHRM-SCP highly preferred.
- Experience implementing and managing enterprise-wide human resource management applications.
- Competency with the Microsoft Office suite of applications.
- Strong problem-solver, intellectually curious, creative, and strategic.
- Ability to think strategically and successfully manage tactical implementation, engaging and leading colleagues at all levels of the organization
- Embraces and values diverse perspectives, encourages conversations about equity and inclusion, and is comfortable working within multi-cultural communities.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with a client-service focus, and ability to respond promptly to inquiries in a courteous and professional manner. Must be able to successfully work collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and external agencies, many of whom may have limited or no understanding of human resource related processes.
- Strong work ethic and desire for personal and professional development. Demonstrates strong desire for personal excellence and can inspire others to achieve as well. Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize work product, both that which is produced by the individual and that of the team, often requiring the adherence to tight deadlines. Works as an effective team member, successfully balancing individual and team responsibilities.
- Maintains an awareness and understanding of democracy promotion; understands the challenges and perseverance needed to drive social change.
- Strong personal character, an individual who can maintain the highest degree of confidentiality, professional ethics and exhibits unquestionable integrity, honesty, and forthrightness.
- Please forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
- Please reference Job # DTC1211 in your e-mail communication.
- Freedom House provides a competitive benefits package, including a 403(b) retirement account, commuter benefits, flexible hours, floating holidays, high employer contributions to medical, dental, and vision premiums, basic and voluntary life and AD&D insurance, short- and long-term disability, flexible spending account, and more.
- Salary is commensurate with experience and will be no lower than $140,000/year
- Diversity makes our work stronger. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
- Candidates must possess authorization to work in the United States.
Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the incumbent may differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job.
Diversity makes our work stronger. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.