Plans, coordinates and directs quality, compassionate care by maintaining standards of professional nursing practice and creating positive therapeutic relationships with patients/families. Provides leadership to other team members by articulating and delegating expected standards of care, supervising and encouraging team members, and supporting their contributions. Supervises LPNs, PCAs, PCAs/US, US and/or Techs.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assesses condition on each assigned patient on admission and on an ongoing basis to include but not limited to the patient’s physical condition, psychological status, social status, spiritual and cultural needs, pain assessment/management, nutritional and functional status, developmental or age related factors, and discharge planning needs. Specific ages: adolescent, and adult and geriatric as defined by scope of service.
- Manages the care of acutely ill medical and/or cardiac patients to include but not limited to ventilator/ pulmonary management, hemodynamic monitoring, vasoactive IV therapy, IABP, invasive lines and/or cardiac pacing.
- Manages the care of patients post-invasive cardiac diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
- Plans, provides, and documents patient and/or significant other education based on physical, behavioral, psychological, developmental, and age-related factors, after identifying barriers to learning.
- Evaluates and regularly reevaluates the nursing needs of the patient; initiates, develops, implements, and makes necessary revisions to the patient’s plan of care according to problems indentified.
- Assigns and delegates nursing care to team members in accordance with the patient’s needs and the capabilities of the team members.
- Collaborates and coordinates with physicians and other disciplines regarding individualized patient treatment/care plans by participating in team conferences, care planing/problem identification and team shift reports.
- Assists in performance improvement (PI) activities by serving on PI teams as warranted, assisting with PI measures and supporting and implementing changes necessary for improvement.
- Accurately documents care provided/observations according to policies and procedures.
- Performs initial and annual competency per job class. Required training BCLS and ACLS.
- Maintains performance, patient and employee satisfaction and financial standards as outlined in the performance evaluation.
- Performs compliance requirements as outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Must adhere to the DCH Behavioral Standards including creating positive relationships with patients/families, coworkers, colleagues and with self.
- Requires use of electronic mail, time and attendance software, learning management software and intranet.
- Must adhere to all DCH Health System policies and procedures.
- All other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Current Alabama RN licensure. Must be able to read, write legibly, speak, and comprehend English.
Physical: Physical presence onsite is essential. Hearing and vision must be normal or corrected to within normal range. Able to perform the duties with or without reasonable accommodation. Ability to tolerate prolonged periods of standing and walking. Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 lbs. Is able to push stretcher/wheelchair with average adult patient. Is able to do frequent stooping and on occasion crouching, crawling or kneeling. Ability to reach reasonable distances in any direction. Ability to run in emergency situations. Must be able to move fingers in a coordinated manner. Must have ability to feel and perceive temperature, texture, shape and size with fingertips.
Environmental: Includes exposure to human body fluids, disease, infection, lab chemicals and hazard materials and/or cleaning solutions. Requires wearing common protective or safety equipment.
Psychological: Includes demonstrating leadership skills, delegating to team members, addressing conflict, communicating with all types of personalities, and being responsible for outcomes/results.