The Software Engineer will be instrumental in the development of new features and enhancements in existing features for the Pokémon Trainer Club Platform. This platform is a key line of business and serves as core backend services for The Pokémon Company International’s mobile offerings. This role will be part of an agile team responsible for building new features leveraging user profiles while supporting the high availability (four nines) and scalability as new clients which consume these services are onboarded.
This role will work with members inside and outside the Technology Organization to ensure new features are delivered with the high-quality Pokémon fans expect. The Software Engineer will be able to work at various levels of the technology stack, with a focus on backend services.
What You Will Do
- Drive the design and implementation of new features on the Pokémon Trainer Club, with a focus on highly scalable and secure services. This includes the user profile system and the authorization (OAuth 2.0) system.
- Translate business requirements into engineering tasks which can be estimated and completed in an Agile software system.
- Migrate functionality from existing monolith to microservices.
- Work on multi-discipline teams, including non-technical stakeholders, to solve complex problems.
- Write clean, testable, maintainable, and documented code with high throughput and low error rate.
What You Will Bring
- 2+ years of experience building and maintaining API-driven services used in multi-tiered, scalable web platforms.
- Experience with golang, React, PostgreSQL or MySQL, and building systems with these technologies.
- Experience with AWS services, containerization and unit test frameworks preferred.
- Experience with Agile Methodology and Test-Driven Development preferred.
- BS Degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
How You Will Be Successful
- Communication: Impeccable written and verbal communication with ability to translate technical information in a non-technical format.
- Bias for Action: You have an eagerness to take initiative and persist in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks. You work to resolve requests and incidents with a high sense of urgency and ownership.
- Great people skills: You know the “how” is as important as the “what” and you aim to build effective relationships across the organizations, as well as externally with 3rd parties. You are mindful of diverse perspectives and engage clients in a professional manner.
- Passion & Pride in your work: You love what you do and how you can add value to your clients; You ensure consistency and quality of your work and take a methodical approach to troubleshooting and resolution.
- Logical and analytical: You’re able to distill and synthesize complex ideas into concise, meaningful information to clients. You’re adept at prioritization and project management with attentiveness to detail and consistent follow through.
- Growth mindset: You thrive in a dynamic and fluid environment because you are a self-starter who is eager to learn, grow and build something great together; building and enhancing programs appeals to you. You have a desire to stay current on technology trends and Information Technology concepts.
What to Expect
We offer a professional, fun and creative work environment. While we maintain a good balance between work and life, additional hours may be required at peak times or for specific initiatives.
The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages the property outside of Asia and is responsible for brand management, licensing, marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, and the official Pokémon website. Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 and today is one of the most popular children's entertainment properties in the world.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of people so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.