The Director, Digital Consumer Engagement will develop, implement and manage The Pokémon Company International’s (TPCi) Social Marketing and Community Management strategy. This role will drive brand awareness, community discussion and content marketing across key brand pillars, generating inbound traffic, reach and impressions, while maintaining high engagement rates across all channels. In addition to delivering against key performance indicators, the Director works with the team to deliver a genuinely fun, entertaining, and inclusive experience for Pokémon fans.
This role coordinates cross-departmentally (Marketing, customer relationship management (CRM), Public Relations (PR), Ecommerce, Product Development, Organized Play, Game Studio and Customer Service) to deliver results against organizational and promotional goals, providing thought leadership and a strategic point of view (POV) to ensure social marketing, digital engagement and community management are integrated into the company’s overall marketing and communication strategy. This role will ensure that campaigns and communication strategies are engaging and results-driven.
What You Will Do
- Develop, implement and optimize Pokémon’s Social Marketing and Consumer Engagement strategy, managing a team responsible for social marketing and community management including content marketing and live streaming across official Pokemon brand channels.
- Provide thought leadership and a strategic POV on broad consumer marketing initiatives, ensuring that social, digital and community engagement best practices and tactics are fully integrated into marketing plans for all products and services
- Provide strategic leadership for a team responsible for:
- Social Marketing: Daily content creation and moderation for TPCi’s presence on social networking sites including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, and other similar community sites
- Community Management: Supporting our Trading Card and Video games with 24/7 community moderation, sentiment analysis, communication, and engagement
- Live Streaming and Content Marketing: Maintain an up to date platform strategy and own planning and execution for TPCi’s live streaming content, including Play! Pokémon competitions and other content both live and on demand
- Manage external community moderation team, and ensure vendor maintains TPCi’s guidelines and standards
- Report on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for TPCi social channels and marketing campaigns with an emphasis on meaningful measurement and actionable key learnings
- Collaborate and ideate with cross-functional teams to develop annual, quarterly and product-specific marketing campaigns
- Measure, analyze, optimize and report on campaign and content performance, refining the brand's social marketing strategy and framework as needed to achieve core business goals and objectives
- Manage, mentor and develop the Social Marketing and Engagement team to ensure that the TPCi social strategy is implemented flawlessly and efficiently, with a commitment to best practice and quality
- Regularly monitor industry trends via listening, providing timely POVs and insights on platform updates, competitor activities, tools and applications
- Select and manage vendors for social media and digital engagement initiatives
What You Will Bring
- BA or BS Degree in Marketing, Public Relations, Communications or related field. An MBA is a plus
- 7-10 years of proven experience in Social Marketing, with 5+ years in a leadership or strategic role
- In-depth, cutting-edge knowledge and understanding of social networking platforms (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch, Instagram, Pinterest, Snapchat, TikTok etc.) and how they can be leveraged to achieve business goals
- In-depth knowledge of the live streaming space, including emerging trends in channel performance and content strategies
- Experience with executing paid social media campaigns from upper funnel awareness campaigns to performance marketing campaigns focused on conversion
- Experience managing and developing a team, with experience onboarding to new social media management, listening platforms and social frameworks
- Proven experience with brand communications, community management, forum moderation, gaming ecosystems, and social marketing for video games and/or mobile games
- Experience developing compelling social media campaigns and effective content strategies
- Demonstrated knowledge about the principles of search engine optimization (SEO) and search engine marketing (SEM) and how they apply to social content and digital asset distribution
- Detailed knowledge of CRM best practice and industry benchmarks
- Experience working within strict brand and/or legal guidelines is a plus
- Experience working within a highly regulated industry is a plus
- Digital agency experience is a plus
How You Will Be Successful
- Creativity and Vision: You see where current trends will lead, and how they may influence the organization’s direction. You foresee opportunities that will come and go, and act upon them in the best interest of the company.
- Data Driven: You are analytical and metrics-oriented. You’re comfortable with data-driven decision making and judgment to run new initiatives and process improvements.
- People Developer: You actively support others stretching beyond their comfort levels and trying new techniques that may enhance success. You coach for incremental, one-step-at-a-time improvements, offering praise and recognition as each step forward is made.
- Change Agent and Innovator: You have the patience, perseverance and diligence to lead change initiatives and contribute to the adoption of new ways.
- Leadership Agility: You understand current state and can visualize the ideal state to be able to counsel, connect dots and influence leadership, business partners and employees to translate vision into action. You provide your team stretch assignments and encourage continuous learning and development.
- Professional Know-How: You effectively apply professional knowledge to solve a wide range of problems. Due to deep experience and knowledge, you are sought out as an expert to provide advice or solutions in your technical area. You keep informed about cutting-edge technology and industry best practices.
What to Expect
We offer a professional, fun and creative work environment. While we maintain a good balance between work and life, additional hours may be required at peak times or for specific initiatives. Travel between office locations internationally may be required on occasion, up to 10%.
The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages the property outside of Asia and is responsible for brand management, licensing, marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, and the official Pokémon website. Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 and today is one of the most popular children's entertainment properties in the world.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of people so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.