Pokémon is a multi-generation/multi-decade global kids & family brand and The Pokémon Company International (TPCi) has been supporting the brand’s continued growth over the past 20+ years. The Director, Business Development, plays a key role in protecting the brand and accelerating its business growth in Pokémon’s multiple business pillars such as video games, mobile apps, trading card game, consumer products, online retailing, and/or animation. The person’s primary focus will include but not limited to consumer products, online retailing, and animation as well as corporate planning, and work with cross-functional leaders as well as with the parent company in Japan. The goal will be to deliver impacts to the brand and its business growth in both strategic and tactical projects.
- Work with President and Executive team to build impactful business growth strategy.
- Create innovative idea/plan to enhance organizational performance.
- Develop business insights and help influence key stakeholders with data-driven decision making.
- Partner with TPCi’s cross-functional leaders on projects and corporate initiatives.
- Execute projects and initiatives through the organization in support of the company’s overall strategy and goals.
- Develop, analyze and present on business related metrics including but not limited to sales, operating results, forecasts and other key business performance indicators.
- Partner with cross-functional leaders to collect data and analyze key performance indicators; make recommendations for improvements.
- Maintain and promote excellent client relations by managing proactive, prompt and accurate communications.
- Work in ambiguity and identify appropriate problems to be solved via strong critical thinking out of diverse business issues that may arise in day to day operations of an international organization.
- Drive industry and competitive analysis for a high growth business.
- Coach and mentor team members to maximize their performance.
- Build a powerful team that can scale the company’s business.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Bilingual with excellent verbal and written communications in both Japanese and English
- Strong entrepreneurial mindset.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of Japanese culture and customs in the workplace.
- High awareness of global EQ in diverse international culture environment.
- Empathy and respect towards different personalities.
- 10 years plus demonstrated business related experience in multinational corporations including Japan and other countries and experience with Japanese, American and European business environments.
- Excellent project management skills with proven ability to drive results; action oriented and strong problem solver.
- Strong demonstrated leadership, presentation and communication skills.
- Ability to understand, interpret, translate and communicate company business plans, strategy and objectives to Japanese officials at parent company.
- Ability to present results of reporting and analysis to management both written and verbal and in English and Japanese.
- Have demonstrated ability to work well with cross-functional key stakeholders, execute under pressure and deadlines, and must be flexible with tolerance for and ability to manage ambiguity and uncertainty.
- The ideal candidate will have excellent business development acumen, is passionate about project management, is analytical, is meticulous in execution, and has excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The Pokémon culture values a leader who is self-motivated, brings an optimistic can-do attitude to work, can work both independently and in a collaborative environment, and works well across organizational boundaries.
- Passion and knowledge in videogames and anime/manga industries and culture is a big plus.
- Proven ability to manage complex Business Development initiatives and other transactions, working with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Broad network and deep passion for entertainment and technology
- BA or BS Degree required. An MBA is also highly desirable
- Must be able to travel domestic and internationally (if travel restrictions under the current COVID-19 circumstances are lifted.)
- Operate at a level to do what it takes to get the job done.
- Flexibly collaborate with colleagues/clients in different time zones.
The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages the property outside of Asia and is responsible for brand management, licensing, marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, and the official Pokémon website. Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 and today is one of the most popular children's entertainment properties in the world.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of people so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.