Over the past 20 plus years, Pokemon has become a true global brand with many enthusiastic fans around the world. TPCi is currently in a very exciting phase of further growing the business by introducing new products and ways to enjoy Pokemon.
The Business Development Manager will lead key strategic initiatives in multiple business pillars (video game, mobile apps, trading card game, merchandising, and/or animation) to elevate the brand and grow the company’s business to the next level. This position will assume a leadership role, working together with key stakeholders within TPCi and those in Japan, by spearheading communication between offices.
- Lead key strategic company initiatives in the area of video game, mobile apps, trading card games, marketing initiatives and/or media & merchandising initiatives. Lead various stakeholders, within TPCi and those in Japan, so that the team is effectively working towards a common goal. Project manage and identify obstacles proactively and persistently resolve those obstacles to successfully deliver on the projects.
- Analyze business metrics and develop strategic recommendations on growth opportunities to TPCi President and management team. Facilitate information sharing between our headquarters in Japan and team at TPCi.
- Mentor other team members to maximize their performance. Initially, work as a functional manager, but may assume people management role depending on performance .
- Oversee administrative tasks to support the President and the entire Business Development Team
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- BA or BS Degree. An MBA is a plus.
- Eight or more years demonstrated business related experience in multinational corporations including Japan and the USA.
- Experience in product development, including localization, is a plus.
- Bi-cultural and bilingual with strong written and verbal communications in both English and Japanese. Solid understanding of Japanese culture and business customs.
- Interest/experience in video game industry and anime/manga industry is a plus. Open to learn about the brand in depth. Passion/interest in Pokemon brand is a plus.
- Proficiency in MS Office products (Excel, PowerPoint).
How You Will Be Successful
- Problem-solving: You have mindset and ability to proactively identifying hurdles to move the project forward and find creative ways to overcome such hurdles. You have excellent leadership skills to effectively influence key stakeholders so that people are aligned on the direction of the project.
- Communication: You have impeccable written and verbal communication with ability to translate complicated information in an easily understanding format. You not only have excellent bi-lingual skill in both Japanese and English, but also bi-cultural understanding to appropriate craft the message on both ends.
- Bias for Action : You have an eagerness to take initiative and persist in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks. You work to resolve requests and incidents with a high sense of urgency and ownership.
- Great people skills : You know the “how” is as important as the “what” and you aim to build effective relationships across the organizations, as well as externally with 3rd parties. You are mindful of diverse perspectives and engage stakeholders in a professional manner.
- Logical and analytical: You’re able to distill and synthesize complex ideas into concise, meaningful information to stakeholders. You’re adept at prioritization and project management with attentiveness to detail and consistent follow through.
- Growth mindset : You thrive in a dynamic and fluid environment because you are a self-starter who is eager to learn, grow and build something great together; building and enhancing programs appeals to you. You have a desire to understand the Pokemon brand.
Must be able to travel domestic and internationally. Be comfortable in accommodating to working with counterparts in multiple time zones including the USA, Europe and Japan.
The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages the property outside of Asia and is responsible for brand management, licensing, marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, and the official Pokémon website. Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 and today is one of the most popular children's entertainment properties in the world.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of people so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.