Responsible for the support of the performance, operations and maintenance of a 1250-MW natural gas fired combined cycle plant, consisting of two 2X1 power blocks – GE7FA gas turbines and D11 steam turbines with Mark VI controls in a manner consistent with providing safe, reliable and efficient electric power generation. Technician must understand concepts to learn to operate the equipment and perform plant systems analysis to take actions for identifying, resolving and/or avoiding failure modes. In addition, the individual performs operator rounds, troubleshooting, preventive, corrective and predictive maintenance on plant systems/equipment to ensure safe, efficient, and reliable plant operations, as well as enhance equipment longevity, complying with all policies and procedures, and governmental regulations. Responsible for providing safe, reliable, and efficient electric power generation in compliance with corporate safety policies and procedures, mandatory electric reliability standards, FERC, EPA, EPD, OSHA, DOT and all applicable governmental regulations.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Level III- Four to six years experience in at least one journeyman discipline either Operations (Control Board Operator) or Maintenance (Mechanical or Electrical/Instrument & Controls) for an operating commercial power production facility, a large natural gas facility, or equivalent military experience. In addition, a highly developed analytical and technical problem solving background.
- Level IV- 12 years or less experience in operation or maintenance of an operating commercial power production facility including nuclear, coal, gas facility, or equivalent military experience. In addition, a highly developed analytical and technical problem solving background.
- Level III-
- Two year technical degree or equivalent, and three years experience in operating or maintaining a thermal electric power station or similar industry.
- Ten plus years of military experience in a power or technical field.
- Level IV-
- Two year technical degree or equivalent, and ten years of experience in operating or maintaining a thermal electric power station or similar industry.
- Four year technical degree or equivalent, and eight years of experience in operating or maintaining a thermal electric power station or similar industry.
- Advanced degree (Masters) and six years of experience in operating or maintaining a thermal electric power station or similar industry.
- Twelve-Fifteen years military experience in a power or technical field.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A strong ability to work in a team environment.
- An effective trainer of personnel and one that motivates others to succeed.
- The ability to extract, comprehend and develop instructions from technical manuals, journals, and drawings, technical literature and other job related material; and to effectively communicate orally and in writing using the English language.
- Possess independent decision-making capabilities in stressful situations with minimum supervision.
- The ability to discern the colors red, green, amber and blue as used in troubleshooting electrical diagrams, control system process, and in color coding used in electronic and electrical component repairs.
- The ability to lift weights or twist with a force of up to 75 pounds, as in the removal and replacement of access doors to equipment, turning of valves, hoisting of material overhead.
- Working in Confined spaces and at heights, as in entering internal areas of the turbine for inspection or repairs during outages, climbing ladders to gain access, working within tight quarters of surrounding piping and conduit to perform troubleshooting functions.
- The ability to troubleshoot electrical, instrument and mechanical systems for malfunctions.
- The ability to instruct others in the performance of testing, checkout and troubleshooting of equipment.
- The ability to provide technical direction and leadership when assigned work lead in the modifications and/or repairs of plant equipment.
- The ability to perform predictive maintenance and interpret data on plant equipment performance, if trained as a technology owner.
- The ability to perform contractor management skills when needed.
- The ability to operate and be certified on industrial trucks, forklift, manlifts, and boom truck, as required.
- The ability to perform and be certified in First Aid and CPR/AED.
Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations: Valid driver’s license which meets the insurance eligibility requirements under Oglethorpe Power’s qualification program.
Unusual hours required of this position: Will require scheduled and call out OT as plant operating and maintenance needs dictate. Production schedules require 24 hour coverage, rotating shift schedules are required.
Requires work in an industrial environment, operating 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, which includes exposure to heat, cold, noise, dust and humidity. The job required climbing ladders and stairs, entering confined spaces, walking, stooping, bending, squatting, pulling, pushing, working in hard to reach and high places, standing for long periods of time, being exposed to all types of weather conditions, and working around machinery, pinch points, and chemicals.