The Director, Capital Projects is responsible for the management of OPCs Capital Projects program and will manage the capital budget portfolio for all capital projects including co-owned assets. This position will support OPC operations and technical services in managing the processes and procedures for identification of future projects, project execution and associated reporting. It encompasses management of project functions from inception to completion including but not limited to: project development, engineering/design, procurement, construction, commissioning, startup, and testing of capital projects that are required at new generation sites or OPC’s existing fleet.
This position will manage a team that is responsible for developing and tracking budgets, schedules, reporting for senior/executive management on project status, and delivering capital projects for OPC operations fleet and other areas within OPC as necessary. This position may also be responsible for managing individual projects.
Accountable for developing timely and useful reports, presentations and other communications to convey complex and technical subject matter in clear, concise messaging to multiple levels of internal and external audiences including OPC Sr. Executives, Construction Projects Committee, and the OPC Board. This position will manage the capital project program to ensure safety, environmental compliance, budget, schedule and quality goals are met for all projects. Consults and serves as subject matter expert representing OPC’s interest to the Board and Members as well as Senior Management.
- Provide program management and leadership to a team of associates to maintain the OPC capital projects program. This includes supervision and management of project managers assigned to multiple capital projects at a time.
- Assist in negotiating procurement, construction, and consulting contracts as required.
- Oversee reporting on all capital projects including but not limited to budgets, actuals, and schedules
- Coordinate with the appropriate Oglethorpe operating organization to ensure appropriate participation and effective communication of status, expectations, and responsibilities regarding capital projects.
- Coordinate with the Technical Services organization to provide management and leadership to engineers that are supporting capital project development and execution.
- Provide management and leadership in support of OPC’s capital project budget program. Manage the preparation and status reporting processes for capital project budgets and cash flow forecasts. This includes the development of comprehensive work products such as the Long range Engineering Plan and the Construction Work Plan for submittal to the RUS. Provide direction and leadership to the Project Controls Principle in executing the program.
- Develop and deliver detailed reporting and presentations to Executives/Senior Management/Board.
Education: B.S. in Mechanical, Electrical, or Civil Engineering; BS in construction management. MBA is a plus.
Experience: 10+ years of experience in at major industrial or power projects and/or design of such facilities with increasing levels of responsibility including supervisory experience.
Equivalent Experience: 14+ years of experience working at large power plants involving maintenance, capital projects, and budget management
Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations: No special licenses, certifications, or registrations required: however, PE is desirable.
Specialized Skills: Must have extensive project management experience, and have work experience in the utility industry possessing a good working knowledge of power plants. They must demonstrate a strong knowledge of project management methodologies with the ability to work with a wide range of individuals including executive management and Board members. They must demonstrate strong leadership skills in management of department associates. Polished interpersonal skills/ability to effectively interface and influence, and ability to work in a team environment with results-oriented style.
Unusual hours: Overnight travel to vendors, engineer offices, project sites and other businesses or sites that may be associated with a project.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability.