Responsible for the performance, operations and maintenance of simple-cycle combustion turbine technologies and generating assets in a manner which optimizes reliability, availability and O&M costs while maintaining the highest standards in safety, environmental, and NERC electrical reliability. Technician must understand and apply concepts to operate the equipment and perform plant systems analysis to take actions for identifying, resolving and/or avoiding failure modes. In addition, the individual performs operator rounds, troubleshooting, preventive, corrective and predictive maintenance on plant systems/equipment to ensure safe, efficient, and reliable plant operations, as well as enhance equipment longevity. The incumbent is responsible for continuous improvement and providing reliable and efficient electric power generation in compliance with corporate safety policies and procedures, environmental, mandatory electric reliability standards, FERC, EPA, EPD, OSHA, DOT and all applicable governmental regulations.
- Responsible for daily plant operations and maintenance to ensure safe, efficient, and reliable plant operations, complying with corporate policies and procedures, and all governmental regulations. Must strive to achieve dispatch orders and keep GSOC informed of all changes in plant capability. Daily activities include start-up and shutdown of the plant equipment, operator rounds, oversee plant physical security, clearances, receiving materials/inventory, maintaining 3-part communications with GSOC, shift log communications, and issuing applicable Operational Advisory and Event Reports. Documenting and communicating operational or maintenance conditions and activities to allow the efficient and orderly transfer of information to others.
- Responsible for assigned work orders and systems ownership. Compliance with the Conduct of Maintenance Program engaging in the 4-week and outage planning and preparations, including reviewing, updating or developing Job Plans, ordering parts and updating inventory requirements. Take appropriate corrective actions to address abnormal conditions, engage supervisor and other resources, and utilize MAXIMO work order/management processes. Complete required reporting, documentation, change management control and VAULT drawing updates.
- Maintain individual safe work practices while performing duties, including completing required training, understanding and following the OPC Safety Manual/Procedures. Perform the function of Clearance Authority for establishing and maintaining safe isolation of equipment/device for the protection of all personnel performing work within established boundaries. In addition, participate in monthly safety meetings and complete all required training to ensure personal compliance, safe work practices, operational excellence, and technical knowledge.
- Responsible for administration of contracts as assigned and coordination of contract support services as required. This project/contract management may include capital project scoping document preparation, budget management, contractor oversight, status reports, and administrative duties as required.
- Compliance Reporting, responsible for the preparation of required documentation and reports to the Corporation's local, division and senior management, owners, regulatory authorities and other agencies to assure compliance with regulations and the terms of the Management Services Agreement.
- Maintains job related qualifications, system knowledge, and understanding of OPC policies and procedures (Emergency Action Plan, Environmental Baseline Book, SERC Plant Level Procedures, etc.)
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent required. Associate’s degree in engineering, engineering or related physical science, or equivalent preferred.
Experience: Six years' experience in operation or maintenance of an operating commercial power production facility, a large natural gas facility, or combustion turbine driven naval vessel.
Equivalent Experience: Eight years' experience in operation or maintenance of an operating commercial power production facility, a large natural gas facility, or combustion turbine driven naval vessel. In addition, a highly developed analytical and technical problem solving background.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A strong ability to work in a team environment.
- An effective trainer of personnel and one that motivates others to succeed.
- The ability to extract, comprehend and develop instructions from technical manuals, journals, and drawings, technical literature and other job related material.
- The ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing using the English language.
- The ability to effectively use control systems (such as Siemen T3000, GE Mark V/VI, Allen Bradley PLCs, etc…) and computer applications (such as Outlook Email, MSOffice Suite, IBM-Maximo and Vault). 6. Possess independent decision-making capabilities in stressful situations with minimum supervision.
- The ability to troubleshoot electrical, instrument and mechanical systems for malfunctions.
- The ability to work on and around high-voltage electrical equipment.
- The ability to instruct others in the performance of testing, checkout and troubleshooting of equipment.
- The ability to provide technical direction and leadership to Assistant Combustion Turbine Technicians and contractors brought in to augment the workforce in the performance of modifications and major repairs to equipment.
- The ability to perform predictive maintenance and interpret data on plant equipment performance.
- The ability to perform basic management and supervisory skills when needed.
Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations: Valid driver’s license which meets the insurance eligibility requirements under Oglethorpe Power’s qualification program.