The general function of the Operations Manager is to coordinate and supervise all plant operations to ensure that the facility is properly operated. To assist in the operation of all power production facilities owned by OPC and those OPC is contracted to operate in order to provide reliable and efficient electric power generation in accordance with corporate safety policies and procedures, and all applicable licenses, permits, regulatory, and governmental agencies. Establish and maintain standards, methods, and procedures to operate systems, equipment, and unit/plant performance testing. Responsible for providing safe, reliable and efficient electric power generation in compliance with corporate safety policies and procedures, mandatory electric reliability standards, FERC, EPA, EPD, OSHA, DOT and all applicable governmental regulations.
- Manage the Effingham County Power (facility) day-to-day operations personnel to ensure safe, efficient, and reliable operation in compliance with all policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Coordinate operations, maintenance, technical and administrative personnel, warehousing, purchasing, and administrative programs to ensure safe, efficient and reliable plant operation, complying with corporate policies and procedures, and governmental regulations. Provides direction and supervision to the administration and maintenance personnel normally under the Maintenance Manager’s direction as required when the Maintenance Manager is away from the plant site. Provide interface with various corporate departments as needed on planning, accounting, budget, engineering, reporting, and personnel issues and problems.
- Prepare the operations department capital and operating budgets and is accountable for actual expenses in that area. Initiate and manage contracts, purchase orders and blanket purchase orders, vendors, site security, policies and procedures.
- Develop, plan, and implement cyber and physical security requirements.
- Supervise the operator training programs to obtain maximum proficiency of plant personnel. Monitor and evaluate all operations training to ensure effectiveness of the programs. Develop advanced training plans and conference schedules for personnel.
- Audit the development of operating procedures, operator qualification statements, job description, clearance/ safety tagging, and skills development programs. Make revisions to ensure maximum safety of personnel and equipment, economy of operation and effective utilization of manpower.
- Analyze and resolve operating problems to ensure continuity and economy of the Plant Operations Department.
- Prepare requisitions to assure timely and adequate supply of equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Maintain the knowledge and understanding of Oglethorpe Power Corporation policies and procedures. Emergency Action Plan, Equal Employment Opportunity, and Affirmative Action Plan laws and directives as they apply in all employment practices.
- Has an administrative role in employee and labor relations.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Experience: Twelve years progressively responsible power plant operations experience to include gas fired, coal, hydro or nuclear units, of which four years include supervisory, management or leadership responsibilities. Shift operations including control room experience, desired but not required.
- Eight years of experience, of which four included supervisory, management or leadership responsibilities, AND a four year college degree, OR,
- Ten years of experience, of which four included supervisory, management or leadership responsibilities, AND two years of college.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A strong ability to work in a team environment.
- An effective manager of personnel and one that motivates others to succeed.
- Highly developed analytical and technical problem solving capabilities.
- The ability to extract, comprehend and develop instructions from technical manuals, journals, and drawings, technical literature and other job related material; and to effectively communicate orally and in writing using the English language.
- Possess independent decision-making capabilities in stressful situations while keeping senior management informed.
- The ability to manage financial budget and assets for OPC property and associates.
- The ability to direct others in the performance of testing, checkout and troubleshooting of equipment.
- The ability to provide technical direction and leadership when managing the modifications and/or repairs of plant equipment.
- The ability to perform contractor management as needed.
- Ability to use personal computers, including but not limited to word processing, spreadsheets, and database applications.
- Ability to plan, lay out, assign, manage, and inspect the work of others.
Licenses, Certifications, and/or Registrations: Valid driver’s license which meets the insurance eligibility requirements under Oglethorpe Power’s qualification program.
Unusual Hours Required: 24/7 on call status in response to plant emergencies.