This role is posted as a range to capture both levels of candidates.
Perform work in connection with maintenance, repair, renewal, and installation of electrical and mechanical equipment; engage in routine and abnormal operating duties of assigned equipment and areas, including inspection of remote locations; assist associates of higher classification in performing various types of work; and participate in required training programs. Responsible to provide reliable and efficient electric power generation in accordance with corporate safety policies and procedures, compliance with Electric Reliability Organization, NERC, SERC, Reliability Standards, FERC, EPA, EPD, OSHA, DOT and all applicable governmental regulations.
- Monitor dams, reservoirs, diesel generators, telecommunications equipment, transformers, motor control centers, battery chargers, auxiliaries, and common facilities equipment performance by checking station recordings and indications instruments, gauges and meters; records temperatures, pressures, flows and other process variables; and makes the necessary adjustments and repairs.
- Operates equipment associated with dams, reservoirs, diesel generators, telecommunications equipment, auxiliaries, and common facilities in accordance with Oglethorpe Power Corporation, the Rocky Mountain Plant, standard operating procedures that include start-up, shutdown, normal operation, emergency, and abnormal conditions. Inspection and operation of equipment controls requires the discernment of colors red, green, amber, and blue.
- Inspect equipment in assigned area of responsibility for proper operation and lubrication, being alert for unusual sounds, odors, and other indications of faulty operation, and all abnormal conditions.
- Must complete the Auxiliary Operator training as prescribed in the Rocky Mountain Operations Training Program in the established timeframe and maintain Auxiliary Operator Certifications/Qualification as a condition of employment.
- Maintain work area and equipment in clean, orderly condition. Continually observe Oglethorpe Power Corporation safety rules and practices. Attend and participate in scheduled training and safety meetings.
- Perform operating maintenance when operating equipment including, but not limited to, valve packing adjustment, take oil samples, and the cleaning and inspection of screens, strainers, filters, and baskets. Performing operating maintenance could involve entrance into confine spaces along with the physical requirements necessitating the ability to lift 75 pounds.
- Lubricate equipment including, but not limited to valves, motor-bearing levels, pump bearing levels, sealed bearings, etc., used in connection with auxiliary equipment, as required.
- Perform the mechanical and electrical switching operations necessary to remove or to return service station auxiliary equipment or substation equipment. The equipment operated includes disconnect switches, air and gas circuit breakers, valves, dampers, and control switches. Prepares, places or remove hold tags and locks, caution tags, and custody tags in accordance with established lockout/tagout procedures. Removal and return to service of equipment could involve entrance into confine spaces along with the physical requirements necessitating the ability to lift 75 pounds.
- Operate equipment including turbines, generators, auxiliaries, circuit breakers, motor control centers, and common facilities in accordance with the Oglethorpe Power Corporation's Rocky Mountain Plant standard operating procedures. Standard Operating Procedures include start-up, shutdown, normal operation, emergency, and abnormal operating conditions. Inspection and operation of equipment controls requires the discernment of colors red, green, amber, and blue.
- Monitor and inspect turbine, generator, and auxiliary equipment performance by checking station recordings, indicating instruments, gauges, meters, temperatures, pressures, flow, and other process variables. Make necessary adjustments and repairs.
- Analyze and locate causes of trouble on mechanical and electrical equipment. Maintain safe and proper operation of plant equipment by making minor replacements, adjustments, and repairs necessary.
- Check with the operator being relieved for special orders and for station operating conditions including the review of operator logs.
- Maintain work area and equipment in a clean, orderly condition. Continually observe Oglethorpe Power's safety rules and practices. Attend and participate in scheduled training and safety meetings.
- Direct and train assigned associates. Direct the activities of assigned associates.
- Must complete the Turbine Operator Training in an established timeframe and maintain Turbine Operator Certification/Qualification as a condition of employment.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
- Auxiliary Operator- This is an entry level position.
- Turbine Operator- Four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in the operation of a hydroelectric or thermal electric power station.
- Turbine Operator:
- Two (2) years of college or technical school in a related technology and two (2) years of responsible experience in the operation of a hydroelectric or thermal electric power station; OR
- Successful completion of the Rocky Mountain Operator Training Program and two (2) years of responsible experience in the operation of a hydroelectric or thermal electric power station.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- For safety reasons, the ability to comprehend instruction from technical manuals, journals, technical literature, drawings, and other job related resource is required; and to effectively communicate orally and in writing using the English language.
- Decision making capabilities.
- Discernment of the colors red, green, amber, and blue.
- Work in confined spaces and heights.
- Lift weights up to 75 pounds.
- Must pass the Basic Aptitude/Skills exam.