This position requires a strong background in technical accounting and SEC reporting. This position reports directly to the VP, Controller and will be responsible for leading our assessment of accounting rules changes, accounting implications of emerging business events, their impact to the company, and appropriate incorporation of results in our financial reporting. This position partners with our SEC reporting accountants, external auditors, and legal counsel to ensure consistent application and documentation of US GAAP in the company’s financial reporting and SEC filings, as well as assisting with the implementation of new accounting pronouncements and policy changes. This position will also assist with the review of the company’s financial management reports and provide miscellaneous support to the general accounting function. Knowledge of the electric utility industry is highly desired. Knowledge of reporting systems/software a plus.
This position interacts with senior and Executive management and requires excellent oral and written communication skills as well as an appropriate balance of interpersonal and technical abilities.
- Monitor and report accounting & financial reporting rule changes (i.e., GAAP, SEC and Rural Utilities Service (RUS)) and perform assessments of their impact to the organization. Formally document assessments in whitepapers, including implementation guidance, that incorporate input from management, external auditors, and legal counsel. Coordinate with SEC reporting accountants as appropriate.
- Research complex business issues, accounting treatment and policies by utilizing available technology and other resources. Provide technical accounting advice, analysis, and support to the accounting staff, finance and operations organizations as required.
- Assist accounting staff in the implementation of new accounting pronouncements, accounting policy changes, etc. Document accounting treatment for significant, unusual or non-recurring transactions. Assist in preparing formal communications to RUS as required.
- Provide support to the general accounting function: Assist with the review and/or preparation of monthly management reports, as well as review quarterly and annual filings, including preparation of SEC checklists; assist in the research and resolution of routine accounting/control issues and discrepancies; assist with various other reviews as required (e.g., account reconciliations, chart of account maintenance).
- Maintain and enhance technical accounting expertise, acting as a resource for and training/mentoring staff. Support development of SEC accounting team and enhancement of functional excellence through training, best practices, continuous improvement and accountability.
Education: BBA in Accounting, Finance, Business or related field.
Experience: 5+ year’s progressive accounting experience, including research experience, preferably in the utility industry.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Very broad and strong current US GAAP technical knowledge and research capability.
• Must possess strong verbal and written communications skills.
• Knowledgeable of SEC reporting requirements and an understanding of utility statutory accounting fundamentals and related financial statements.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Must be able to work effectively in a team environment with a desire to help others succeed
• Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
• Knowledge of reporting software a plus.
Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations: CPA Certificate
This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability.